Chase Bank has a new $300 bonus for their new Premier Checking account. This is a separate bonus in addition to their Chase Total Checking $150 + Chase Savings $100 bonuses. Although the bonus for this product is higher, it comes with both higher fees and more features, so it won’t work out to be better for everyone. The good news is that you can apply online, no need to visit a branch.
- Open a new Chase Premier Plus Checking Account
- Deposit $25 or more at account opening
- Have your direct deposit made to this account within 60 days of account opening. Chase states that your direct deposit needs to be an electronic deposit of your paycheck, pension or government benefits (such as Social Security) from your employer or the government.
Offer not available to existing Chase checking customers, those with fiduciary accounts, or those whose accounts have been closed within 90 days or closed with a negative balance. You can only receive one new checking account-related bonus per calendar year. Bonus is considered interest and will be reported on IRS Form 1099-INT. If the checking account is closed by the customer or Chase within six months after opening, we will deduct the bonus amount at closing.
Premier Checking offers these additional features above Total Checking:
- No Chase fee on first four non-Chase ATM transactions per statement period. This might be useful for some folks. Any fees from the ATM owner still apply.
- Earn interest on your checking account balance. Don’t get too excited. As of 6/11/15, the rate is 0.01% APY and as with all checking accounts is subject to change.
- Chase Plus Savings with no Monthly Service Fee and higher interest rates. Again, stay calm. As of 6/11/15, the rate is 0.03% APY for Chase Plus Savings while the regular Chase Savings pays 0.01% APY.
- No fee for Chase design checks when ordered through Chase.
To avoid the $25 monthly service fee for Premier Checking, you must do at least one of the following:
- Keep an average daily balance of $15,000 or more in any combination of qualifying Chase checking, savings and other balances; OR,
- Have automatic payments to your qualifying linked Chase mortgage from your Chase account. Payments set up through Online Bill Pay do not qualify. Mortgages must be in good standing and be first mortgages with servicing retained by Chase.
The additional features of the Premier checking aren’t really worth very much due to the low interest rates offered. Maybe the ATM fee waivers are worth something, but that depends on the person. I would only consider this bonus if you can waive that $25 monthly fee as noted above (ideally, you already have a Chase mortgage). Otherwise, the incrementally higher $300 bonus would be offset by the service fees. In that case, I would look into the Chase Total Checking + Savings package instead.
“Disclaimer: This content is not provided or commissioned by the issuer. Opinions expressed here are author’s alone, not those of the issuer, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer. This site may be compensated through the issuer’s Affiliate Program. “The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.”