My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Capital One 360 Checking $350 Bonus w/ Direct Deposit

Capital One is running a $350 bonus for new 360 Checking accountholders. There was a similar $400 bonus back in 2020, but this is still a relatively good bonus. Note that if you have or had an open checking account of any type from then on or … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash – August 2023

Here's my monthly roundup of the best interest rates on cash as of August 2023, roughly sorted from shortest to longest maturities. There are often lesser-known opportunities available to individual investors. Check out my Ultimate Rate-Chaser … [Read the rest]

Essentialism Book: More By Doing Less

If I were to summarize the book Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown, I would simply put up the graphic (from the book) above. We all have finite energy. Nobody can "have it all". You need take the time to explore and … [Read the rest]

Facebook User Privacy Class Action Settlement (File a Claim Soon)

Facebook has another class action settlement, this one for $725 million and different from the last $90 million one. Lots of people will be eligible: If you were a Facebook user in the United States between May 24, 2007, and December 22, 2022, … [Read the rest]

William Bernstein Interview #2: No Individual Stocks, Improved Safe Withdrawal Rate Outlook

Dr. William Bernstein is continuing his press tour for the second edition of his classic investing book The Four Pillars of Investing, and I found myself listening/reading to another podcast from The Meb Faber Show: Bill Bernstein on Financial … [Read the rest]

CIT Bank Review: Platinum Savings 5.00% APY, 11-Month No Penalty CD 3.50% APY

Platinum Savings now at 5.00% APY. CIT Bank (not to be confused with Citi Bank) is an online-only bank that I keep open and going back to due to their multi-year history of competitive rates. They have a checking account, but their specialty is a … [Read the rest]

Fundrise vs. Vanguard Real Estate ETF REIT Review 2023 (Final Update and Cashout!)

Final update July 2023, with full cashout. It has now been nearly 6 years for my experiment comparing a Fundrise Real Estate portfolio and the Vanguard Real Estate ETF. In Fundrise, we have a start-up with "crowdfunding" beginnings that offers … [Read the rest]

Apple News+ 4-Month Free Trial: WSJ, Businessweek, WaPo, Barron’s

If you read a lot of finance articles online, you're probably as tired as I am of running into paywalls. Even though I already pay for subscriptions to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Bloomberg Businessweek (paper magazine!), I'm still … [Read the rest]

Megabus $1 Fare Sale

Megabus now runs intercity bus service to over 500 cities all across the US (also runs in UK and Canada). Right now, you get can $1 fares with their "Christmas in July" sale (Via The Gate, see tweet below). The schedule is now out through … [Read the rest]

Milli Savings Account Review: 5.25% APY (App Only)

Milli is a new app-only savings account that is backed by the FDIC insurance of First National Bank of Omaha (FNBO). iOS and Android apps available. They came out of the gates at 5.00% APY but recently raised to 5.25% APY. Here are the … [Read the rest]

Why Vanguard Money Market Funds Are Still The Best

The term "Vanguard effect" was coined due to the observation that after Vanguard enters an asset class with its low expense ratios, competitors are usually forced to follow and lower their expense ratios as well. However, one area where this … [Read the rest]

Bill Bernstein Interview: New Edition of The Four Pillars of Investing Book

"The Long View" by Mornginstar is an excellent podcast for DIY investors with a long-term perspective. Their recent episode Bill Bernstein: Revisiting ‘The Four Pillars of Investing’ had on Dr. Bernstein to help promote his newly-updated The Four … [Read the rest]