My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Portfolio Visualizer: Asset Allocation Backtesting and Monte Carlo Simulation Tool

Here's another neat (and free!) portfolio analysis tool - PortfolioVisualizer.com. You can upload a custom asset allocation and get all sorts of backtest data and Monte Carlo simulation results from it. If you register for an account, it will … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash Savings – July 2017

Interest rates are slowly waking up from their multi-year slumber, so I am paying a bit more attention to the various changes each month. Don't let a megabank pay you 0.01% APY or less for your idle cash. Here is my monthly roundup of the best … [Read the rest]

New vs. Used Car Total Cost of Ownership Calculations

A financial topic that nearly everyone has an opinion on is car ownership. Do you buy new and drive it into the ground? Do you buy slightly used after the early depreciation hit? Do you buy a cheaper 10-year-old car, drive it for a while, sell … [Read the rest]

Does Cash Make You Happier Than Income or Paying Down Debt?

The growing appreciation of behavioral psychology in investing is basically us admitting that we aren't perfectly rational. When you make people automatically opt-in to 401(k) plans and make their contributions increase automatically, they save … [Read the rest]

Extremes in Minimalism, Frugality, and Early Retirement

I enjoyed reading this NYT article When the Gospel of Minimalism Collides With Daily Life. The "Minimalist Mom" was profiled who vowed to not buy their kids anything for an entire year (2013). How does she live now? These days, she warned, … [Read the rest]

Jack Bogle Full Interviews with CNN and Business Insider

If you haven't gotten a dose of Jack Bogle wisdom recently, check out this full Business Insider interview transcript and this 16-minute CNN video interview. There is a lot of ground covered between them. Here are my selected notes: S&P 500 … [Read the rest]

Hyatt Credit Card – Two Free Nights Offer Changing to 40,000 Points on 6/29

The Hyatt Credit Card is changing their sign-up bonus on 6/29/17. For now, you can get two free night awards after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months from account opening. The free nights are valid for a standard room at any Hyatt hotel … [Read the rest]

Standard eBooks: High-Quality, Free, Public Domain eBooks

The Standard eBooks Project is a new volunteer-driven, not-for-profit project that produces carefully-formatted, open-source, and free public domain ebooks. They improve upon the work of sites like Project Gutenberg and HathiTrust in the following … [Read the rest]

Starbucks for Outlook: Send $5 Gift Card, Get $5 Gift Card Free

Mmm... caffeine. Here's a new promotion with Starbucks and Microsoft Outlook that is basically a Give 1 Get 1 Free $5 Starbucks eGfit Card. Here is the promo page and the terms and conditions page. For a limited time, when you send a $5 … [Read the rest]

Research Affiliates Custom Portfolio Expected Returns Tool

Investment advisory firm Research Affiliates has updated their interactive Asset Allocation tool, which now provides estimates of expected returns for more than 130 asset classes and model portfolios. There are two expected return models, … [Read the rest]

PortfolioCharts.com Safe Withdrawal Rate Tool (Updated)

I just noticed that PortfolioCharts.com has updated their Withdrawal Rate Calculator. It has improved visualizations and as a personal finance geek I even found it fun. You can enter your specific asset allocation slices down to 1% and see … [Read the rest]

A Semi-Retirement Update, Father’s Day 2017

I've been told that my blog isn't personal enough. Father's Day seemed like an appropriate time to share how our efforts towards financial freedom have altered our day-to-day lives. Guiding principle. When I first started chasing the idea of … [Read the rest]