Updated. American Airlines and US Airways have announced new details about their upcoming merger. As expected, the two frequent flier programs will merge and all the miles will become American AAdvantage miles in 2015. (US Airways Dividend miles will convert at a 1:1 ratio.) Along with that, they have slightly updated both the Citi American Airlines card and Barclaycard US Airways card.
Here are the updated details on the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® MasterCard® from our partner Citi:
New cardholder bonus:
- For a limited time, earn 50,000 American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles after making $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening*
- Annual fee is $95, waived for first 12 months.
American Airlines and US Airways perks:
- Free checked bag for you and 4 companions. Your first eligible checked bag is free for you and up to four travel companions. This perk still only applies to American and not US Airways.
- Free Priority Boarding. Priority Boarding with Group 1 privileges for you and up to 4 companions on American flights only.
- 10% rebate on award redemptions. Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage miles back – up to 10,000 AAdvantage miles each calendar year*
- 25% savings on in-flight purchases (food, beverages, and headsets) on both American Airlines and US Airways flights.
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount every cardmembership year with qualifying purchases and cardmembership renewal. The Flight Discount is also redeemable for air travel on any oneworld® carrier or American Airlines codeshare flight (this includes US Airways flights booked as American Airlines codeshare flights).
- Double miles on both American Airlines and US Airways purchases. Double AAdvantage miles on eligible American Airlines and US Airways purchases* like plane tickets and 1 AAdvantage mile for every $1 spent on other purchases.