Update: Citi has another holiday promotion, offering 30,000 bonus American Airlines miles with their co-branded American Airlines Visa Signature Card and annual fee waived for the first year. That’s enough for a free first-class or two free economy domestic award tickets. Details below.
For those of you that fly American Airlines and/or already have similar Citi AA cards, the new Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Mastercard® (yikes what a long name) just announced a bunch of improvements and perks to make this card more attractive. The good news is that these perks are also extended to existing consumer cardholders of Citi AA cards of the same level.
New cardholder bonus:
- 30,000 American Airlines bonus miles + 2 Admiral’s Club One Day Passes: Earn 30,000 American Airlines AAdvantage bonus miles and two Admiral’s Club One Day Passes after $1,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of card membership*
- Annual fee is $95.00, waived for first 12 months.
American Airlines perks:
- Free checked bag. Your first eligible checked bag is free*
- Free Priority Boarding. Priority Boarding with Group 1 privileges* and 25% savings on eligible in-flight purchases*
- 10% rebate on award redemptions. Earn 10% of your redeemed AAdvantage miles back – up to 10,000 AAdvantage miles each calendar year*
- 25% savings on in-flight purchases (food, beverages, and headsets).
- Earn a $100 American Airlines Flight Discount every cardmembership year with qualifying purchases and cardmembership renewal*
- Double miles on American Airlines purchases. Double AAdvantage miles on eligible American Airlines purchases* like plane tickets
and 1 AAdvantage mile for every $1 spent on other purchases.
Also note that there are usually reduced mileage award prices for certain routes each quarter (17,500 miles for roundtrip economy instead of 25,000) if you have an Citi AA card.
Finally, there is a similar 50k offer for the business card. If you apply for both card on the same day at the same time using different web browsers, that will help you get approved for both cards and get you to 100,000 miles. Of course, you’ll have to satisfy two sets of spending requirements.
In summary, this card is now much better-targeted for those that fly American Airlines on a regular basis.
- Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® World Mastercard®