The Barclaycard Arrival Plus(TM) World Elite MasterCard® is a new premium travel rewards card with a nice sign-up bonus and also works out to 2.2% cash back towards travel. This results in card that may be the best option for people who like to travel but aren’t loyal to any specific airline program.
Sign-up Bonus: 40,000 miles = $400 off your next trip
There is a limited-time sign-up bonus of 40,000 miles after you make $3,000 in purchases in the first 90 days from account opening. 40,000 miles equates to $400 off your next travel redemption!
Rewards Structure: 2.11% Cash Back Towards Any Travel – With this card, you earn 2 miles per $1 spent on all purchases; no special categories. These miles (easier to think of them as points, really) are then redeemable towards travel booked from any merchant or retailer classified as Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies. That means you have the flexibility to redeem towards any airline purchase to any destination with no seat restrictions and no blackout dates.
On top of that, the card gives you a 5% miles rebate when you redeem for any travel. So in that 40,000 redemption example above, you would actually get you 2,000 back for a net cost of 38,000 miles. Getting $400 of value out of 38,000 miles at 2X miles/$ spent works out to 2.11% cash back towards any travel. That is very high in terms of easy conversion to cash value.
- Earn 40,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 90 days – that’s enough to redeem for a $400 travel statement credit
- Earn 2X miles on all purchases
- Get 5% miles back to use toward your next redemption, every time you redeem
- Chip card technology, so paying for your purchases is more secure at chip-card terminals in the U.S. and abroad
- No foreign transaction fees on anything you buy while in another country
- 0% introductory APR for 12 months for each Balance Transfer made within 45 days of account opening. After that, a variable APR will apply, currently 16.24% or 20.24%, depending on your creditworthiness.
- Complimentary online FICO® Credit Score access for Barclaycard Arrival cardmembers
There is a $89 annual fee that is waived for the first year. Balance that with the $400+ opening bonus + 2.11% cash back the first year, and the ongoing 2.11% cash back past the first year. There is also a Barclaycard Arrival(TM) World MasterCard® with no annual fee that is similar but has a lower 20,000 bonus miles but only 2X miles on travel and dining purchases as opposed to all purchases (the rest get 1x miles). I will likely try to downgrade the card to the no annual fee version after a year if I don’t think the 2X miles is working out for me. Barclays does offer instant approval; if you don’t get it call their credit analyst line at 1-866-408-4064.