The October 2013 issue of Money Magazine featured an article “Best Credit Cards” that (unsurprisingly) caught my eye. Here’s a quick list of their top picks for various categories. I’ve written about most of them, and in those cases I’m linking to that post which provides more details. Otherwise, I’m linking directly to the card page and including a few highlights about the card.
Best for Balance Transfers (Low, long introductory APR)
- Chase Slate Card. 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months. No balance transfer fee if you transfer within the first 2 months.
Best for Regular Balance Carriers (Low ongoing APR)
- Lake Michigan Credit Union Prime Platinum Card. 6.25% APR on balance transfers (Prime + 3%) for applicants with 760+ FICO scores.
Best for Purchases (Low, long introductory APR)
- Citi Simplicity Card. 0% on purchases and balance transfers for 18 months. 3% balance transfer fee, $5 min.
Best Tiered Rewards Cards (Tie)
- American Express Blue Cash Preferred. 6% back on groceries on up to $6,000 in purchases a year. $75 annual fee. See post for details.
- US Bank Cash Plus. 5% back on two categories from 12 possible choices, on $2,000 in purchases per quarter. Must apply in branch.
Best Flat and Simple Rewards Cards (Tie)
- Fidelity American Express. 2% back with no limit or tiers. Rewards must be deposited into a Fidelity account.
- Capital One Quicksilver. 1.5% back with no limits or tiers. Easier access to rewards. Visa more widely accepted than Amex.
Best Travel Rewards Credit Card
- Barclaycard Arrival World Mastercard. Big sign-up bonus, 2% back towards any travel with no limit plus a 10% rebate on redemptions. See post for details.
Best Card for Using Overseas
- Andrews Federal Credit Union GlobeTrek Rewards. Equipped with chip-and-PIN technology that is popular internationally. No foreign transaction fee. No annual fee. Must join credit union first, but can be done for free.
Best Cash Back Rewards Card for Small Business
- Chase Ink Cash. No annual fee. 5% back on office-supply stores, phone service, internet, and cable up to $25,000 a year.
Best Small Business Card for Regular Balance Carriers
- Wells Fargo Business Platinum. Low APR on purchases, from Prime + 5.99% depending on credit evaluation. No annual fee.
Best Secured Card for College Students
- Digital Credit Union Visa Platinum Secured. No annual fee. Reports to credit bureaus. Must be a credit union member to apply (can be done for $10).
Best Unsecured Card for College Students
- Northwest Federal Credit Union FirstCard. No annual fee. Reports to credit bureaus. Must be a credit union member to apply (can be done for $10).