My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Healthcare and Dependent Care FSA Check-up Reminder (Average Loss $157)

As we head into the last few months of 2021, this is a reminder to check on your Healthcare and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA). This NYT article outlines some temporary changes this year, while also revealing that nearly half of … [Read the rest]

Hanscom Federal CU Thrive Review: 5.00% APY Saving Habit Builder and Maintainer

Hanscom Federal Credit Union (HFCU) has hiked back up the rate on their CU Thrive account to 5.00% APY, which is a capped certificate of deposit that rewards consistent saving. The rate is set for 12 months, and during those 12 months you can … [Read the rest]

MMB Portfolio Update October 2021 (Q3): Dividend and Interest Income

While my 3rd Quarter 2021 portfolio asset allocation is designed for total return, I also track the income produced quarterly. Stock dividends are the portion of profits that businesses have decided they don't need to reinvest into their business. … [Read the rest]

MMB Portfolio Update October 2021 (Q3): Asset Allocation & Performance

Here's my quarterly update on my current investment holdings as of October 2021, including our 401k/403b/IRAs and taxable brokerage accounts but excluding our house, "emergency fund" cash reserves, and a side portfolio of self-directed investments. … [Read the rest]

American Express Business Platinum Card Review: 120,000 Bonus Points, $400 Dell Credit, $120 Cell Phone Credit, $200 Airline Fee Credit

The Business Platinum® Card from American Express is the ultra-premium AmEx business card with a very long list of new perks and statement credits. You also get the best airline lounge access program (Delta Sky Club + their own Centurion lounges) … [Read the rest]

Four Thousand Weeks: Productivity Trap, Gratitude, and Paying Yourself First (Book Highlights)

Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals by Oliver Burkeman is a relatively short book filled with thought-provoking observations about the constant pressure that we feel, how there never seems to be enough time to accomplish the things that … [Read the rest]

Quontic Bank High Interest Checking Review: 1.10% APY on all Balance Tiers

The Quontic Bank High Interest Checking account has recently raised their interest rate and applied it to all balance tiers, with the result being the rare combination of a competitive interest rate with a high balance limit. Here are the … [Read the rest]

Instacart Express: Free 6 Month Membership with Chase Credit Card

Chase has partnered with Instacart to offer a free 6-month membership to Instacart Express (~$50 value) when you add an eligible Chase credit card as a payment method. You also get a $10 off $35 coupon. You can see the full list here, but it's … [Read the rest]

FIRE Starters: Profiles of 12 Individuals and Families Pursuing Early Financial Freedom

I enjoyed watching all 14 YouTube videos in the FIRE Starters interview series by Marketwatch. The videos were well-edited, in that they averaged only about 5-7 minutes each but still explained the individual and/or family's unique path to … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash – October 2021 Update

via GIPHY Here's my monthly roundup of the best interest rates on cash as of October 2021, roughly sorted from shortest to longest maturities. I look for lesser-known opportunities earning at least double what most savings accounts and money … [Read the rest]

Practical Time Management: The Won’t Do List vs. Must Do List

80 years times 50 weeks a year is 4,000 weeks. If we're lucky, that means we'll have about 4,000 Mondays, 4,000 Saturdays, and that's it. I've started reading Four Thousand Weeks: Time Management for Mortals by Oliver Burkeman, which suggests that … [Read the rest]

Vanguard Target Retirement Funds Update: Big Expense Ratio Drop in Early 2022

I always keep track of the Vanguard Target Retirement 20XX Funds (TRFs) because: They are a low-cost, broadly-diversified, "all-in-one" fund that I believe are a good starting point for both beginning investors and all investors that desire … [Read the rest]