My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

MMB Portfolio 2021 Year-End (Late Update): Asset Allocation & Performance

Here's my (late) quarterly update on my current investment holdings, as of 1/23/22, including our 401k/403b/IRAs and taxable brokerage accounts but excluding a side portfolio of self-directed investments. Following the concept of skin in the game, … [Read the rest]

Real-World Numbers: Investing $850 a Month Turned Into $200,000 Over 10 Years (2022 Edition)

Instead of focusing on the current hot thing, how about stepping back and taking the longer view? How would a steady investor have done over the last decade? Most successful savers invest money each year over a long period of time. Target date … [Read the rest]

Health Insurance Required to Cover Free At-Home COVID Tests Starting 1/15

If you've been facing the prospect of spending hundreds of dollars on at-home COVID tests so that you and/or your kids can go back to work/school after an exposure event, please note that starting Saturday, January 15th, health insurance companies … [Read the rest]

Chase Freedom Flex Review: $200 Bonus, 5% Rotating Categories, 3% Back on Dining Out, No Annual Fee

The Chase Freedom Flex Card is the new 5% cash back rotating category card for Chase, including the notable addition of 3% cash back on dining out and drugstore purchases. All of the popular features from the old Freedom remain as well: Up to 5% … [Read the rest]

PSA: Ask For Extension/Credit on Expired Free Hotel Night Certificates

Many hotel rewards programs offer free night and upgrade certificates as a perk, and many of them were set to expire on December 31st. However, many programs are offering a courtesy extension and/or points credit. Some may have quietly extended … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash – January 2022 Update

Here's my monthly roundup of the best interest rates on cash as of January 2022, roughly sorted from shortest to longest maturities. Significant changes since last month: 7.12% Savings I Bonds annual purchase limit reset for 2022, new 2% APY LFCU … [Read the rest]

GMO: The Case For Investing in Non-US Stocks (Even Though Recent Performance Is Poor)

The GMO quarterly letter is on my recurring "must read" list, and the 2021 Q3 letter "Winners, Losers, and the Case for Owning Each" did not disappoint, including some very interesting data for the DIY investor that wants to stay informed. Here are … [Read the rest]

2022 401k and IRA Contribution Limits

The beginning of the year is a good time to check on the new annual contribution limits to the various available retirement accounts. Our income has been quite variable these last few years, so I regularly adjust the paycheck deferral percentages … [Read the rest]

Vanguard Target Retirement Funds – Surprise 10%+ Year-End NAV Drop and Capital Gains Distribution Explained

The Vanguard Target Retirement Funds are one of the largest "set-and-forget" mutual funds that own a mix of stocks and bonds that automatically adjust over time based on your targeted retirement year, with combined assets across the institutional and … [Read the rest]

Portfolio Asset Class Returns, 2021 Year-End Review

2021 is finally in the books! Most of my portfolio is in low-cost index funds across various asset classes, which I purposefully ignore most of the time as I believe the proper time horizon is at least several years long. However, I do check in … [Read the rest]

$6,000 IRA Contribution Goal 2021 Final Results:: $5,592 in Bonuses, $2500+ in Extra Interest

2021 end-of-year update. I have an informal goal each year of earning the equivalent of the maximum annual IRA contribution limit of $6,000 using the profits from various promotions alone. If you had put $6,000 into your IRA every year for the … [Read the rest]

Anthony Bourdain: Not Too Late to Change Your Direction

[Programming note: Posting will be light through the end of the year. Hope you have a restful and rejuvenating holiday season!] The WSJ article Anthony Bourdain: Feast of Memory (link should bypass paywall as I am a WSJ subscriber) briefly … [Read the rest]