My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

MMB Portfolio 2022 1st Quarter Update: Dividend & Interest Income

via GIPHY Here’s a slightly-altered quarterly update on the income produced by my Humble Portfolio. I track the income produced as way to add a different view of performance. The total income goes up much more gradually and consistently than … [Read the rest]

Wells Fargo $1,500 New Business Checking Account Bonus (In-Branch Only)

(Update: Looks like Wells Fargo ended this promotion early. Hope those interested got the code while they could.) Wells Fargo has a $1,500 bonus offer if you open a new business checking account in a physical branch with a special bonus code from … [Read the rest]

MMB Humble Portfolio 2022 1st Quarter Update: Asset Allocation & Performance

Here's my quarterly update on my current investment holdings as of 4/8/22, including our 401k/403b/IRAs and taxable brokerage accounts but excluding a side portfolio of self-directed investments. Following the concept of skin in the game, the … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash – April 2022 Update

Here's my monthly roundup of the best interest rates on cash as of April 2022, roughly sorted from shortest to longest maturities (useful for both cash reserves and as possible bond substitutes). I look for lesser-known opportunities available to … [Read the rest]

The Power of the Default: 401(k) Auto-Enrollment, Auto-Increase, and Default Investment Options

Vanguard has an interesting whitepaper called Automatic Enrollment: The power of the default [pdf]. It takes effort to make a choice beyond the default setting. Doing nothing is always easier. Behavioral economics is still gaining popularity and … [Read the rest]

Backdoor Roth IRA Contribution 2022: Tips and Vanguard Example Screenshots

The official IRA contribution deadline for Tax Year 2021 is April 15th, 2022. However, I choose to use April 15th as the informal deadline for my same-year IRA contributions (Tax Year 2022). By around April 1st, I have usually finished filing my … [Read the rest]

Optimal Target Date Fund Glide Path, Per Deep Learning AI

The WSJ article Why Target-Date Funds Might Be Inappropriate for Most Investors (free gift article) discusses new research using "deep learning" artificial intelligence to find the optimal asset allocation over time. There are several interesting … [Read the rest]

Marcus Bank CD Promo: 1.10% APY for 10-Month Term, Rising Rate Commentary

Rates are rising... slowly. Marcus Bank has a 10-month promo CD paying 1.10% APY ($500 min, early withdrawal penalty is 90 days of interest). Ally Bank has a 14-month promo CD paying 1.00% APY (No min, early withdrawal penalty is 60 days of … [Read the rest]

Mint Mobile: My Canada International Roaming Experience and Tips

After a delay of two years, my family finally used up our flight credits and stash of hotel points to travel internationally to Vancouver and Whistler, British Columbia for some snow-filled fun. I was a bit worried about how well my "budget" … [Read the rest]

Schwab Starter Kit: $101 in Free Stock (or Cash) For New Customers

I'm a old fart now, but if I am going to keep most of my net worth somewhere, I want it somewhere that if I called their phone number, I'd be confident to have a knowledgable human pick up the phone and help me with my problem. That means Vanguard, … [Read the rest]

Amazon Pickup Points Promo: $10 Off First Order of $20+ (Targeted)

Amazon has a targeted promotion of $10 off $20+ purchase when you try out an Amazon pickup point, which include in-store pickup counters (like Whole Foods) and self-service Amazon Hub lockers. Enter the code 10OFFPICKUP and select an Amazon pickup … [Read the rest]

Historical Asset Class Correlations: Stocks vs. Bonds, International Stocks, Commodities, Gold

Morningstar has published their 2022 Diversification Landscape (direct link?, but free with email), another useful whitepaper for DIY investors that looks closer at the correlations between different asset classes. The first three sentences quoted … [Read the rest]