My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

103 Bits of “Advice I Wish I Had Known” by Kevin Kelly

via GIPHY Kevin Kelly of Cool Tools and many other endeavors is now 70 years old and has 103 more bits of "Advice I Wish I Had Known" for 2022. Very high density of insightful wisdom per sentence, so I like to read a little bit each day and … [Read the rest]

Billionaire Crypto CEO Explains DeFi Farming… Sounds Exactly Like a Ponzi Scheme

Sam Bankman-Fried (nicknamed "SBF") used the "sell shovels during the Gold Rush" model on cryptocurrency and has made billions as the CEO of FTX, a crypto derivatives exchange. He has a background in quantitative trading and performed a now-famous … [Read the rest]

Savings I Bonds May 2022 Inflation Update: 9.62% Interest Rate!

May 2022 rate confirmed at 9.62%. Official press release. The variable inflation-indexed rate for I bonds bought from May 1, 2022 through October 31, 2022 will indeed be 9.62% as predicted. Every single I bond will earn this rate eventually for 6 … [Read the rest]

Cash Rates Early Update: 5-Year CDs at 3% APY, 5-Year MYGA Rates at 3.65%

I'm going to wait a bit on my full May interest rate update, as I expect more rate changes early this week. Even the rates quoted below may become outdated quickly, but I wanted to point out certain rates at multi-year highs and also near the … [Read the rest]

Vanguard’s Special Tax-Efficient ETF and Mutual Fund Combo

This is a bit of an "inside baseball" topic appealing only to serious DIY investors, but I found this FT article about Vanguard's unique tax-efficient fund structure quite interesting. Apparently, Vanguard has both a patent and special SEC … [Read the rest]

Mastercard Free ID Theft Protection and Credit Monitoring

Update April 2022: Just a quick update that this has been a useful, additional free identity theft protection service. Today, I electronically signed some "power of attorney"-type papers through Docusign and they had me answer some identity … [Read the rest]

SoFi Credit Card: 3% Cash Back For a Year w/ Direct Deposit (EXPIRED)

Update: This offer is EXPIRED. SoFi has another new promotion if you have the SoFi Credit Card and SoFi Checking/Savings and a qualifying Direct Deposit every month: 3% cash back for 1 year (365 days) on a maximum of $12,000 of purchases ($360 in … [Read the rest]

I Savings Bonds: Nearly 10% Yield + 10X More Popular!

Nothing like a 10% yield with no principal risk to attract more attention to a quiet little investment option. The WSJ has a new article What Are I Bonds? Everything You Need to Know to Earn Nearly 10% Interest as a follow-up to The Safe Investment … [Read the rest]

Vanguard Customer Service Complaints

Vanguard is based right outside of Philadelphia, so the Philadelphia Inquirer often provides helpful insights on the company. Their new article Vanguard clients take to social media over customer service mishaps (possible paywall?) provides a good … [Read the rest]

Till Financial Review: Kid Banking App That Teaches Compound Interest

There are many apps in the "reloadable debit card for kids" category, where parents can transfer money into their account and kids can spend it. However, I have been looking for a better app that can illustrate the power of compound interest and … [Read the rest]

Warren Buffett Charlie Rose Interview 2022 (Berkshire Annual Meeting)

The 2022 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholder Meeting will be held in-person in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, April 30th. It will also be streamed live via CNBC webcast starting at 8:45am Central Time (6:45 Pacific). As a sort of promotion for … [Read the rest]

Know What You Own: Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT) Infographic

Often you'll hear investment advice like "just buy an index fund and forget about it", but when a severe crisis occurs, it's really hard to just forget about it. Substitute advice like "sell now and wait for the dust to settle" may start to sound … [Read the rest]