My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Don’t Anchor Yourself To Your Portfolio High-Water Mark

Inside various financial forums, I am seeing the "anyone else worried?" 😓 posts as most portfolios are down double-digits. For a retiree with a $1 million portfolio, seeing $100,000 or $200,000 of value evaporate is understandably stressful. … [Read the rest]

Teachers Federal Credit Union New Member Promotion (DO NOT TRY)

Update 6/16/22: More than two weeks after joining and taking my deposit, they have finally refunded the deposit and officially declined my application due to vague reasons suggesting fraud. They have made no effort to contact me or to otherwise … [Read the rest]

Investment Portfolio First Aid for Older Relative, Part 1: Assess The Situation

Although I enjoy managing my own investments, I've generally avoided managing other people's money. That always felt like such an important responsibility to take on. Below is the real investment portfolio of an older family member (over 75) that … [Read the rest]

Hulu Black Friday: $0.99/Month for 12 Months (w/ Ads), Add Disney+ For $2/Month

Hulu has a Black Friday deal of $0.99/month for 12 months on their Ad-supported plan that includes two devices and HD resolution. Regular price is $7.99/month. You can also add on Disney+ (Ad-supported) for $2/month or add Starz for $0.99/month … [Read the rest]

How to Do Nothing: Resisting the Attention Economy (Book Notes)

Even though I spend a lot of time online reading through forums, blogs, e-mail newsletters, substacks, and so on, I don't spend much time on Twitter or Facebook. Slowly reading a detailed review or educational article is one thing, but 100 different … [Read the rest]

2022 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholder Meeting Video, Transcript, and Notes

Here are my notes on the 2022 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Shareholder Meeting. This year, CNBC has the rights to record and host the full video and transcripts (morning session, afternoon session) and they did a nice job with syncing the text and … [Read the rest]

Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card: 2 Miles Per Dollar on Every Purchase + 75,000 Bonus Miles Offer

Offer increased to 75k. The Capital One Venture Rewards Credit Card is their premium travel rewards card with unlimited 2 Miles per dollar on all purchases. 75,000 miles can be redeemed as a $750 credit towards any travel purchase made with the … [Read the rest]

Peerstreet Update 2022: Interest Rate Spreads, Secondary Market, Pocket 3.5% APY

Another one of my Peerstreet loans was paid off recently, and I realized that it has been over a year since my last update on this experiment in real-estate debt. Here's my current view on this unique investment. Peerstreet in a nutshell. … [Read the rest]

Boost Mobile Annual Plans $8.33/mo for 1 GB, $25/mo for 35 GB “Unlimited” Data (AT&T MVNO)

Boost Mobile now uses the T-Mobile and AT&T 4G/5G networks after the T-Mobile/Sprint merger completed. Now owned by Dish Network, they have rolled out some aggressively-priced annual plans that are cheaper than the ones from Mint Mobile (which I … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash – May 2022 Update

Here's my monthly roundup of the best interest rates on cash as of May 2022, roughly sorted from shortest to longest maturities. We all need some safe assets for cash reserves or as a bond substitute, and there are often lesser-known opportunities … [Read the rest]

Warren Buffett’s Activision Merger Arbitrage “Bank/Credit Card Bonus” Deal

While listening to the 2022 Berkshire Hathaway Annual Meeting Q&A session (full video and transcript at CNBC), I was amused to hear that Warren Buffett announced that he bought shares of Activision Blizzard stock as part of a "workout". The … [Read the rest]

Vanguard ETF & Mutual Fund Expense Ratio Drops (Updated May 2022)

Updated May 2022. Vanguard regularly announces expense ratio cuts to their mutual funds and ETFs. This post serves to keep track of these updates, as Vanguard usually removes the press releases after a certain amount of time. Most changes will … [Read the rest]