My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Reading List: Timeless Financial Wisdom From 100 to 2,000 Years Ago

Morgan Housel has an excellent post about Cumulative vs. Cyclical Knowledge, which points out how humans don't seem to be able to solve behavioral financial problems like living below your means, asset bubbles, overuse of leverage, and more. In a … [Read the rest]

Amazon Prime: Link Venmo, Get $10 Credit (Targeted)

Amazon is offering select Amazon Prime members a $10 Amazon credit for linking their Venmo account as a payment method. You don't have to actually purchase anything with Venmo. The terms says it's targeted, but I did not receive an e-mail about … [Read the rest]

4% Guaranteed Withdrawal Rate (Inflation-Adjusted) with TIPS Ladder

Retirement income planning would be so much easier if you could buy a known amount of guaranteed lifetime income that automatically adjusted for inflation. However, the reality is that not a single insurance company in the entire world is willing to … [Read the rest]

Off the Clock: Feel Less Busy While Getting More Done (Book Highlights)

If you are serious about dramatically improving your personal finances (like getting rid of credit card debt), the first step is to find out exactly where your money goes - track every dollar for a month using a spending log. I recall it being quite … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash – November 2022 Update

Here's my monthly roundup of the best interest rates on cash as of November 2022, roughly sorted from shortest to longest maturities. We all need some safe assets for cash reserves or portfolio stability, and there are often lesser-known … [Read the rest]

Citi Double Cash Card: 2% Cash Back on All Purchases

The Citi® Double Cash Card is a popular rewards credit card as it offers 2% flat cash back on all purchases, not just specific categories. As of March 2022, $1 in cash back rewards is also 100 Citi ThankYou points for potentially even better reward … [Read the rest]

Ally Bank New Deposit Promo: Up to $500 Cash Bonus (Expired, But New CD Opportunity)

Update November 2022: Ally has raised the rates on their CDs and savings accounts, but notably the 11-month No Penalty CD is now at 3.10% APY, which isn't amazing, but if you are already committed to this deposit bonus, it is a way to raise your … [Read the rest]

The Value of Not Checking Your Investment Statements

The WSJ asks an interesting question: Public REITs Are Down, Nontraded REITs Are Up. Which Is Right? (paywall?). Public REITs are traded on an open market with daily liquidity, and prices are down ~26% overall this year. Non-traded private REITs … [Read the rest]

Savings I Bonds November 2022 Interest Rate: 6.48% Inflation Rate, 0.40% Fixed Rate

November 2022 rates officially announced. May 2022 rate confirmed at 9.62%. 11/1/2022 press release. The variable inflation-indexed rate for I bonds bought from November 2022 through April 2023 will indeed be 6.48% as predicted. Every single I … [Read the rest]

Reader Question: Credit Card Bonuses, Paying Annual Fees, and FICO Scores

Here's a reader question via email that comes up pretty regularly, and I'm surprised that I don't have a dedicated post answering it. So here it is! 😁 Hi Jonathan, I have been following you for a long time and appreciate your work. … [Read the rest]

PNC Bank Checking Account Bonus ($200 or $400)

Update: Based on what I see in my zip code, it appears this bonus was extended to January 2, 2023. PNC Bank is one of the Top 10 largest banks in the US, and they have a nice bonus available as well. Enter your zip code into their checking … [Read the rest]

Discover Card Free Online Privacy Protection Review (Delayed Success!)

Follow-up: Although the initial scan did not find any hits (even though my data was on the sites), a subsequent scan did a better job and Discover removed my data from 33 different hits from the 10 people search sites. I randomly spot-checked them … [Read the rest]