My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

The Only Two States of Your Portfolio: Happy All-Time High or Sad Drawdown

Quick question - What was the highest value ever for your investment portfolio? Now, what was the value exactly a year before that? You probably know the answer to the first question, but not the second, even though both have little to do with … [Read the rest]

Chase Slate Edge Card Review: 0% Intro APR For 18 Months on Balance Transfers and Purchases

The Chase Slate Edge(SM) card offers 0% Intro APR for 18 months from account opening on purchases and balance transfers. This is their card that has several features focused on those trying to pay down their credit card balance, which requires both … [Read the rest]

The Affluent Investor by Phil DeMuth – Book for $100,000+ Club

This week I've been trying to catch up on my book reviews (you should see my "to read" shelf!), and after a good beginner book I thought I'd write about a good intermediate-to-advanced book. You've probably noticed there are a lot of starter books … [Read the rest]

Vanguard High-Yield Corporate Bond Fund Review (VWEHX)

The Vanguard High-Yield Corporate Bond Fund (VWEHX, VWEAX) is a low-cost, actively-managed bond fund that invests in medium- and lower-quality corporate bonds and is advised by Wellington Management Company. I don't own any in my retirement … [Read the rest]

Book Review: The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story by Michael Lewis

Somehow I picked up a copy of The New New Thing: A Silicon Valley Story, which is a Michael Lewis bestseller published back in 1999 about the internet boom. The central character is Jim Clark, founder of Silicon Graphics (SGI), Netscape, and … [Read the rest]

The Elements of Investing – Book Review (Updated Edition)

There are two major types of investing books for beginner investors: "Instructional to-do list" books basically tell you what you should do. "Inspirational big-picture" focus more on the philosophical reasons why you should do those things. Both … [Read the rest]

1,000 Free Hilton Honors Points For Updating Password

Hilton is offering people 1,000 Hilton HHonors points for creating a "real" password to replace their previous 4-digit PIN. Took me less than a minute. You must do this between March 12th and March 25th, 2015, and points will be posted in 6-8 … [Read the rest]

Beware of Mutual Funds That Artificially Juice Their Dividend Yield

I like seeing my dividend income roll in each quarter, as do many other investors. But are mutual funds artificially "juicing" their reported dividend yields to attract investors? This is explored in a recent academic paper Juicing the Dividend … [Read the rest]

FidSafe Review: Free Digital Document Storage from Fidelity

I have a couple of accounts at Fidelity Investments (solo 401k and taxable brokerage), and recently they sent me letter about a new service. FidSafe is a website that stores digital copies of documents for free and is open to the public, no … [Read the rest]

ROI of Brand Name Colleges? It’s What You Study In College That Matters, Not Where You Go

Soon high school seniors will start receiving their college acceptance letters. This week's issue of The Economist has an article discussing the results of a PayScale study of the relationship between the financial return on investment (ROI) of a … [Read the rest]

Benjamin Franklin and Compound Interest: “Money makes money. And the money that money makes, makes money”

We've all heard of the power of compound interest. We've all heard of Benjamin Franklin. But have you heard of the story where Ben Franklin let his money compound quietly for 200 years? Here's an excerpt from the book The Elements of … [Read the rest]

Best Frugal Cast Iron Skillet Pan – America’s Test Kitchen

Back in 2007, I wrote about cast iron skillets as the ultimate frugal cookware? To this day, I still think they can play a regular role in the home kitchen. America's Test Kitchen (ATK) has recently released to free e-mail newsletter subscribers … [Read the rest]