My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Real Estate Crowdfunding Experiment #1 – Background and Introduction

After I took out roughly $7,500 out of my P2P lending experiment, I started looking for another place to put my money at risk. :) I decided on trying out real-estate crowdfunding, which tries to make real estate investing (either through equity or … [Read the rest]

Savings I-Bonds May 2015 Interest Rate Update: Negative 1.6% Variable

New inflation numbers were just announced, which allows us to make an early estimate of May 2015 savings bond rates before their official semi-annual announcement. This also allows us the opportunity to know exactly what a April 2015 savings bond … [Read the rest]

Navy Federal Credit Union Youth Week $100 Bonus

Navy Federal Credit Union has solid bank and loan products, including checking accounts with ATM rebates, competitive mortgage rates, and limited-time 0% balance transfer promotions. Membership eligibility for NavyFed is primarily restricted to … [Read the rest]

LendingClub Realistic Return Expectations Chart

Thinking about investing in P2P loans? Even though I still believe that decent returns are possible, I think it is important to have realistic expectations. I've given out the following warnings since they started: You won't get the stated … [Read the rest]

Prosper vs. LendingClub Investor Experiment: 2.5 Year Update

In November 2012, I invested $10,000 into person-to-person loans split evenly between Prosper Lending and Lending Club, both out of curiosity and for a chance at higher returns from a new asset class. After diligently reinvesting my earned interest … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates for Cash Reserves – Updated April 2015

Our family keeps a year's worth of expenses (not income) put aside in cash reserves; it provides financial insurance with the side benefits of lower stress and less concern about stock market gyrations. In my opinion, emergency funds can actually … [Read the rest]

Lowe’s $10 off $50 Coupon Code

Updated with new coupon. As a homeowner, unfortunately there's always a use for these... Lowe's has a new $10 off $50 coupon available to everyone if you sign up for their promotional e-mails. You can use a secondary e-mail or simply unsubscribe … [Read the rest]

Wealthfront Offers Tax Loss Harvesting With No Minimums

Automated portfolio managers like Wealthfront will set you up with a diversified mix of index funds and manage it for you for a small fee. I'm an investing geek, so I always lean towards keeping the small fee and manage things myself. But an … [Read the rest]

Betterment Offers Tax Loss Harvesting With No Minimums

Automated portfolio managers like Betterment will set you up with a diversified mix of index funds and manage it for you for a small fee. I'm an investing geek, so I always lean towards keeping the small fee and manage things myself. But an … [Read the rest]

ComputerShare and Company-Specific DRIP Plans: Still A Good Option in 2015?

Here's a reader question that arrived this week: I know you write a lot about investing, but can you write a little more about ComputerShare as a way to save money vs buying stock with online brokerages. I just read in WSJ how its cheaper if you … [Read the rest]

NAPFA: Warnings When Finding a Financial Advisor

Many people feel more comfortable with someone else helping them with their finances. A common piece of advice these days is to find a fee-only advisor that doesn't work on commission. Many times this leads to a recommendation of the National … [Read the rest]

Portfolio Rebalancing Frequency: Even Less Than Annually?

Here's another data point on the debate on how often to rebalance your portfolio to your target asset allocation. Econompic Data writes about rebalancing a portfolio back to 60% S&P 500 / 40% Barclays Aggregate Bond index from 1976-2014 and finds … [Read the rest]