My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

American Express® Green Card Review: 40,000 Points Welcome Offer

The American Express(R) Green Card is one of AmEx's classic cards, and they have revamped the rewards structure and added new travel perks. There is also a welcome offer for new cardholders. Here the the highlights: Earn 40,000 Membership … [Read the rest]

The Platinum Card® from American Express Review: 80,000 MR Points, New $200 Hotel Credits, $240 Streaming Credits, $200 Airline Fee Credits, $200 Uber Cash, $189 CLEAR Plus Credit, and More!

The Platinum Card® from American Express is the classic premium travel card, with an extended list of luxurious perks along with a hefty annual fee. It's time for another look as they have improved their welcome offer, added many new perks, and … [Read the rest]

What’s Your Retirement Mindset? Escaping From vs. Escaping To

In a recent Outside magazine article, the author examined research about how activities can be either positive or negative, not based on the actual activity itself, but your mindset while doing them. For example, exercising could be negative, while … [Read the rest]

The Scary Clause in Fixed Index Annuity Contracts

Allan Roth takes a closer look at the role of fixed index annuities as part of an "efficient" portfolio, and as usual makes some great observations. The first thing about fixed index annuities is that no two are the same - the insurance companies … [Read the rest]

TIPS Real Yields ~2% Across All Maturities; 4.4% Guaranteed 30-Year Withdrawal Rate

One of my regular bookmarks is the TIPS real yield page (along with the regular Treasury yields). I noticed that the real yield on the 30-year TIPS has nudged above the 2% mark: At the same time, the 30-year regular Treasury is at 4.3%, … [Read the rest]

Lesser-Known Cheap Cell Plans on Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile Networks – Unlimited Data from $25/Month

Updated 2023. You can save hundreds of dollars per year by shopping around and using a lesser-known plan. Every major network sells wholesale minutes and data to MVNOs (Mobile Network Virtual Operators), which they in turn sell at a significant … [Read the rest]

Capital One 360 Checking $350 Bonus w/ Direct Deposit

Capital One is running a $350 bonus for new 360 Checking accountholders. There was a similar $400 bonus back in 2020, but this is still a relatively good bonus. Note that if you have or had an open checking account of any type from then on or … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash – August 2023

Here's my monthly roundup of the best interest rates on cash as of August 2023, roughly sorted from shortest to longest maturities. There are often lesser-known opportunities available to individual investors. Check out my Ultimate Rate-Chaser … [Read the rest]

Essentialism Book: More By Doing Less

If I were to summarize the book Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown, I would simply put up the graphic (from the book) above. We all have finite energy. Nobody can "have it all". You need take the time to explore and … [Read the rest]

Facebook User Privacy Class Action Settlement (File a Claim Soon)

Facebook has another class action settlement, this one for $725 million and different from the last $90 million one. Lots of people will be eligible: If you were a Facebook user in the United States between May 24, 2007, and December 22, 2022, … [Read the rest]

William Bernstein Interview #2: No Individual Stocks, Improved Safe Withdrawal Rate Outlook

Dr. William Bernstein is continuing his press tour for the second edition of his classic investing book The Four Pillars of Investing, and I found myself listening/reading to another podcast from The Meb Faber Show: Bill Bernstein on Financial … [Read the rest]

CIT Bank Review: Platinum Savings 5.05% APY, 11-Month No Penalty CD 4.90% APY, 6-Month 5.00% APY

Platinum Savings now up to 5.05% APY. CIT Bank (not to be confused with Citi Bank) is an online-only bank that I keep open and going back to due to their multi-year history of competitive rates. They have a checking account, but their specialty … [Read the rest]