My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

History of 0% APR Interest Rates + Who’s Carrying a Monthly Balance?

From 2005 to 2007, a peek at my credit report might have revealed that I had over $30,000 in credit card debt. The good news is that I borrowed it at 0% APR and then immediately stashed it in an FDIC-insured bank account earning 6% interest at … [Read the rest]

Acorns App Review: Auto-Invest Your Spare Change, Now Free For Students

Updated review. New Android and web versions. Added details about "students invest for free" feature (anyone 24 and under). When I wrote about WiseBanyan, I remarked that now people could start investing a portfolio of ETFs with as little as 100 … [Read the rest]

Motif Investing Review – Be Your Own Fund Portfolio Manager, Even Get Paid By Others

Updated. Ever wanted to manage your own mutual or ETF? A new brokerage company called Motif Investing will let you do just that. One of their pitches is that you can invest in a group of up to 30 individual stocks that fit into a motif or theme … [Read the rest]

Weight Management vs. Money Management Advice Similarities, Revisited

I've written previously about the importance of permanent habit change in both managing your finances and your body weight. After finishing Smart People Don't Diet by Charlotte Markey and then reviewing my Kindle highlights, please allow me to … [Read the rest]

Portfolio Charts Visualization Tool: Returns vs. Time (Holding Period)

When investing in stocks and bonds, it is important to take a long-term perspective. We've all heard that phrase. A new tool called PortfolioCharts.com lets you create charts that make it easier to visualize the relationship between returns and … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates for Savings Accounts and CDs – Updated August 2015

Our family keeps a year's worth of expenses (not income) put aside in cash reserves; it provides financial insurance with the side benefits of lower stress and less concern about stock market gyrations. In my opinion, emergency funds can actually … [Read the rest]

Consumer Reports on Auto Insurance: Watch Your Credit Score, Shopping Behavior

Consumer Reports (CR) has released a multi-part Special Report on Auto Insurance, included in their September 2015 print issue but also available online without a subscription (at least for now). They analyzed over 2 billion quotes from over 700 … [Read the rest]

PolicyGenius Review: Long-Term Disability Insurance Quotes for Independent Contractors

I would say that the insurance with the highest ratio of most-needed to least-bought would be long-term disability insurance. According to the Social Security Administration, just over 1 in 4 of today's 20-year-olds will be become disabled at some … [Read the rest]

Pact App: Cash Motivation For Exercising or Eating Healthier

I am nearing my 6-month anniversary of making a weight loss bet with HealthyWage (3 months left) and DietBet (less than a week left). My aversion to losing money has really helped me remain focused on my goals, so I have a newfound respect for this … [Read the rest]

Paribus: Automatically Request Price Drop Savings

Many online retailers offer a "Low Price Guarantee", which doesn't mean they actually have the lowest prices but only that they will match a lower price if you find it and ask for your money within a certain time window. Sometimes they'll match … [Read the rest]

Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs & The Portfolio Investment Pyramid

Yesterday, I looked back at extending the Maslow Hierarchy of Needs to Personal Finance. The basic idea of the triangle or pyramid is that lower needs must be satisfied before the higher needs can be addressed. For example, one must first obtain … [Read the rest]

Google Translate: Free, Real-Time Language Translation While Traveling

Back in 2014, Google bought Word Lens, a neat app that translated a few languages in real time using your smartphone's camera. The live translation feature has been integrated into the Google Translate app (Android and iOS) and now works with 27 … [Read the rest]