My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

My Dream Future Is Happening Now (Exactly 10 Years Later!)

Whoa. I just received an e-mail from my past self, scheduled to arrive exactly 10 years after December 3rd, 2005. (Courtesy of the tool FutureMe.org.) Its purpose was to remind me of this post about My Dream Future as imagined in … [Read the rest]

How To View Your Spouse’s Account Within Vanguard

My wife and I both hold IRAs at Vanguard.com, and we each have our own usernames and passwords. This used to work out fine - I would login to either one when I needed to update our portfolio-tracking spreadsheet. But after enabling two-factor … [Read the rest]

Winterizing – Sealing Up Old Windows With Plastic Shrink Film

Extended review, updated prices, added tip using painter's tape. Every year as winter arrives, search engine visitors find their way to this post about how we used to winterize the single pane, very drafty windows in the 90-year-old house we rented. … [Read the rest]

Cyber Monday 2015: Amazon, Target, Travelocity, Expedia, Quicken, and More

Here's a quick roundup of the Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals that I felt either had broad appeal, were finance-related, or might ideally save you money on stuff you would have bought anyway. Amazon 10% Off. A reminder to save on their … [Read the rest]

Charlie Munger: The Complete Investor Book Review

I've just finished reading new book Charlie Munger: The Complete Investor by Tren Griffin. For the unaware, you can read the Wikipedia for Charles T. Munger, otherwise probably best know as the Vice Chairman of Berkshire Hathaway and partner of … [Read the rest]

Square IPO, Direct Deposit Loans, and Controlling Your Cashflow

As you've probably heard, the Square IPO was completed last week. For a while, I didn't understand how a company could have a $4 billion valuation when they basically offer a simplified merchant account. They let small businesses accept credit … [Read the rest]

Capital One 360 Savings Promo – Earn Up to a $500 Bonus

Capital One 360 Savings has a limited-time sign-up bonus for up to $500 for new customers, tiered depending on your opening deposit. Here's a quick recap of the features of 360 Savings accounts: No monthly fees or minimum balance … [Read the rest]

PSA: Beware When Shredding Your Chase Sapphire Preferred Credit Card

Every credit card is getting a smart chip these days, which means a lot of expired cards. My shredder is rated for 12 sheets of paper at a time, and up until recently handled every credit card, CD, and DVD sent its way. But not the Chase Sapphire … [Read the rest]

Verizon ThanksGetting Promotion: 2 GB Free Data For Existing Customers

Here's some free stuff for existing Verizon Wireless customers. Visit vzw.com/thanksgetting and Verizon will give you 1 GB of free data this billing cycle, and another 1 GB your next billing cycle. Starting on Wednesday 11/25, they'll start … [Read the rest]

Straight Talk Promotion: Unlimited Monthly Plan Cards for $22.50 a Month

Straight Talk is a prepaid MVNO that offers the ability to buy SIM cards that you can pop into any AT&T-compatible, T-Mobile-compatible, or unlocked GSM phone. This includes many Samsung Galaxys and iPhones that you can buy refurbished or on the … [Read the rest]

Realty Mogul Review: Fractional Investment Property Ownership, Hard Money Lending

Added bonus for new sign-ups. I've been a registered member of RealtyMogul for a while, and they recently emailed me that if I referred a friend, we'd both get a $150 Amazon gift card just for completing the registration process (i.e. zero investment … [Read the rest]

High-Quality Bonds Still Best Antidote to Stock Price Drops

There is a constant search for the elusive "new" asset class that offers high returns but with low correlation to stocks. In Skating Where the Puck Was: The Correlation Game in a Flat World, William Bernstein points out that soon after one is … [Read the rest]