My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Savings I Bonds May 2016 Interest Rate Update

New fixed rate as of May 1st, 2016 is 0.1%, the same as the last 6-month period. The variable inflation-indexed rate is 0.16% (as was predicted). Thus, buying a new I Bond between May 2016 through October 2016 will earn a composite rate of 0.26% for … [Read the rest]

IRA Contribution Stats: Are You a Non-Procrastinating, Consistent Maximizer Unicorn?

Besides being the tax return deadline, Monday April 18th, 2016 is also the last day to make a contribution to a Traditional or Roth IRA for the 2015 Tax Year. For both the 2015 and 2016 Tax Years, the maximum annual contribution limits are $5,500 … [Read the rest]

Nickel: Kid Allowance App + Debit Card + Set Your Own Custom Interest Rate

If you're reading this, you obviously value financial knowledge and creating a secure life for you and your family. If you have kids, then you want them to develop the same skills. The NYT bestseller book The Opposite of Spoiled explored the many … [Read the rest]

Under Armour, Nike, and Owning The Haystack

If you're a basketball fan, you may have read this ESPN article about how Under Armour beat out Nike to get an endorsement deal for Stephen Curry. As one of the hottest athletes in the world, this single deal could shift billions of dollars towards … [Read the rest]

The New Financial Bundle: Checking + Savings + Credit Card + Brokerage + Retirement Advice

Last week, Ally Financial announced that they are acquiring TradeKing. What made this interesting was that they didn't refer to TradeKing as a discount brokerage firm, but a "digital wealth management company". This another move from independent … [Read the rest]

New Rules on Fiduciary Duty for Retirement Account Advice

The Department of Labor has released their final rule on reducing conflicts of interest on retirement savings advice. As expected, the new rule now requires any person who provides investment advice on retirement accounts like 401(k) or IRAs to act … [Read the rest]

Bill Fixers: Let Someone Else Haggle Your Cable and Phone Bills For You

Successful haggle update, April 2016. Shortly after the NY Times profile of Bill Fixers came out, I submitted a request for them to help me lower my Time Warner cable bill. I had haggled with Time Warner in the recent past, but was currently back … [Read the rest]

WreckCheck App – Auto Accident Checklist

While doing the research for my auto premium comparison post, I noticed that several of the state websites promoted an app called WreckCheck. Created by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), this free mobile app for iPhone and … [Read the rest]

Big List of Auto Insurance Premium Comparisons for All 50 States

The standard advice for saving money on auto insurance is to shop and compare prices. You could use a comparison website, but they may not include every insurance carrier listed in your state. A lesser-known fact is that auto insurance is … [Read the rest]

Morningstar Individual Investor Conference 2016

Morningstar is holding a free online event this Saturday, April 2nd called the Individual Investor Conference. Starting at 9am Central, according the full agenda there will be six live streaming video sessions from their staff. You can chat … [Read the rest]

Bank of America Overdraft Fee Refund

Updated. Although I originally wrote this post a few years ago, it (unfortunately) still gets regular traffic. Bank reforms instituted in 2010 made overdraft "protection" only applicable on an opt-in basis on ATM/debit card usage. Despite this … [Read the rest]

Free FICO Score from Bank of America Credit Cards

This post provides updated information and instructions regarding the free FICO score that is available to Bank of America credit card holders. (Thanks to reader Andy for the tip.) Background. Bank of America started rolling out free FICO scores … [Read the rest]