My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Free 25 Hertz Gold Plus Points

Hertz has a Summer Bonus promotion with bonus points on your summer car rentals through 9/5/2016. Not much time left, but you can still get 25 free Hertz points just for registering with your Hertz Gold membership number. Register to earn up to … [Read the rest]

Schwab Target Date Index Funds Review

Charles Schwab has announced Schwab Target Index Funds, a new series of "all-in-one" target date mutual funds that are made up entirely of in-house Schwab Index ETFs and a Schwab cash mutual fund. Their existing offering Schwab Target Funds differs … [Read the rest]

US National Park Centennial: Free Admission, Special Events, and Virtual Reality Tours

The National Park Service turned 100 on August 25, 2016. From Thursday 8/25 to Sunday 8/28/16, there will be special events and free admission to all 412 national parks. Visit FindYourPark.com to find details about your nearest park. The fee … [Read the rest]

Free Educational Apps for Children: Duck Duck Moose

If you're a parent of young children these days, you're likely looking to make their screen time active and educational instead of passive. Unfortunately, free apps are often of low quality or severely restricted. Meanwhile, there are some … [Read the rest]

SolarCity Bonds: 6.50% Interest for 18 Month Term

Some folks don't like it when I write about investments that aren't low-cost index funds. The thing is, when I find something intriguing, I like to dig deeper and then keep a record my findings. That way I can look back later and see how things … [Read the rest]

MogulREIT: CrowdFunded Real Estate for Non-Accredited Investors

While the number of real estate crowdfunding sites keeps growing, most marketplaces still require you to be an accredited investor with high income and/or net worth requirements. However, options for non-accredited investors should improve shortly … [Read the rest]

Using Your 401(k) and Roth IRA as Emergency Funds

We've all heard that you should keep an emergency fund in case of unexpected expenses or unemployment. But what if you don't have the cash? Personal finance author Jonathan Clements presents a mathematical argument for using your 401(k) as an … [Read the rest]

Two Ways to Get Rich: Save Like Crazy, or Start a Business

Tom Corley performed a study examining 233 self-made millionaires over 5 years, and found that they fell into one of two categories as outlined in this Business Insider article: They were fanatical savers. They sold something. This … [Read the rest]

Store-Bought Rotisserie Chicken: An Economic Analysis

Costco's $4.99 rotisserie chicken is about as famous as their $1.50 hot dog and soda combo. It's cheap, but is it a good value? Priceonomics went out and did an real-world experiment using store-bought rotisserie chicken. You may have noticed … [Read the rest]

OpenSignal LTE Network Comparison: T-Mobile vs. Verizon

OpenSignal (mentioned previously) crowdsources cellular coverage and speed maps directly from individual network users. They recently released the August 2016 update to their State of Mobile Networks USA Report, which was based on 2.8 billion … [Read the rest]

The Vanguard Effect on ETF and Mutual Fund Expenses

The following chart taken from this Bloomberg article by Eric Balchunas shows the drastic difference in expense ratios when Vanguard has an offering in an asset class or not. Like Walmart arriving in a new town, the entry of Vanguard into a … [Read the rest]

Infographic: Income vs. Cost-of-Living For All 50 States

The NY Times has an article called What $100 Can Buy, State by State. You know I can't resist a good 50-state infographic. The first chart is basically a cost-of-living comparison. The findings shouldn't be too surprising. Stuff and … [Read the rest]