My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

This Simple Game Helps Explain Stock Market Investing

Here's a very simple game that does a great job of illustrating the pitfalls of investing, despite the long-term odds being in your favor. Imagine that you are given $25 that you can bet on a coin toss for 30 minutes. You know that the coin … [Read the rest]

Amazon 2% Balance Reload Rewards Promotion

Amazon has a targeted promotion for Prime members that offers you a 2% bonus when you reload your Amazon gift card balance using a checking account. For example, if you load $100, you will get $102 in Amazon credit. To see if this promotion is … [Read the rest]

Free 2,000 La Quinta Returns Points Promotions

Added new 1,500 point offer. You can earn 1,500 free La Quinta Returns points by linking your Visa credit card and your mobile number to your La Quinta Returns account. Valid until December 31st, 2016. Introducing Redeem Away!™ - a travel … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash Reserves – November 2016

Our family keeps a year's worth of expenses (not income) put aside in cash reserves; it provides financial insurance with the side benefits of lower stress and less concern about stock market gyrations. Emergency funds can have a better return on … [Read the rest]

LastPass: Sync Passwords Between Devices For Free

Password manager Lastpass has announced that they are letting their Free users sync their passwords across all devices - desktop, laptop, tablet, or smartphone. Mac or PC. Android or iOS. There will still be ads for Free users and other features … [Read the rest]

Savings I Bonds November 2016 Update: 2.76% Inflation Rate

Update for I bonds issued from November 1, 2016, through April 30, 2017. The new fixed rate as of November 1st, 2016 is 0.0%, which was a decrease from 0.1% during the last 6-month period. For comparison, 5-year TIPS real yield on 11/1/16 was … [Read the rest]

Instapaper Premium Features Now Free To All Users

Instapaper and Pocket are both handy "read it later" services that lets you save and organize articles to read at your convenience (often with better formatting). Instapaper was recently acquired by Pinterest and just announced that they would … [Read the rest]

Morningstar Top 529 College Savings Plan Rankings 2016

Investment research firm Morningstar has released their annual 529 College Savings Plans Research Paper and Industry Survey. While the full survey appears restricted to paid premium members, they did release their top-rated plans for 2016. This … [Read the rest]

LendingClub United Miles Promotion (Both New and Existing Investors)

LendingClub (LC) is a marketplace lender that offers unsecured personal loans and then sells investment notes backed by those loans. After defaults and fees, they advertise historical returns between 5% and 8%. As an incentive, LC recently started … [Read the rest]

Sell Your Halloween Candy to Dentists, Who Donate Them to Troops Abroad

Do you let your kids create the memories of Trick-or-Treating but not the subsequent cavities from actually eating all that candy? A nationwide network of over 2,500 dentists will buy back your Halloween candy (usually for $1 per pound, up to 5 … [Read the rest]

Consumer Report Car Brand Reliability Rankings 2016

The December 2016 issue of Consumer Reports magazine includes the results from their 2016 Car Reliability Survey with over a half million data points. In this public-viewable article, CR shares the full 2017 reliability rankings by brand and the … [Read the rest]

List of Free Movie Streaming Sites Online

If you are a cord-cutter but are still looking for some free movie content to stream, here is a collection of (legal) links. Shortly after I had kids, I dropped Netflix as I had no time to "binge" on anything. However, I still like to watch bits … [Read the rest]