My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

How to Minimize Investment Returns – By Warren Buffett

At the bottom of the Berkshire Hathaway 2016 Annual Report, you may not have noticed that Warren Buffett republished a previous article from the 2005 annual report titled "How to Minimize Investment Returns". A version become the first chapter … [Read the rest]

Fidelity Investments Stock and ETF Trades now $4.95

Fidelity Investments has announced their online stock and ETF trades will now cost $4.95, down from $7.95 previously. The press release also points out that they also do not accept payment for order flow (unlike TD Ameritrade, Schwab, and E-Trade), … [Read the rest]

Berkshire Hathaway 2016 Annual Letter by Warren Buffett

Berkshire Hathaway (BRK) released its 2016 Letter to Shareholders [pdf] over the weekend. Although the financial media will create some catchy headlines, I recommend reading it for yourself. It is only roughly 30 pages long and is always written in … [Read the rest]

Food Rankings: Most Protein Per Dollar, Caffeine Per Dollar

A while back I did a post on What Does 200 Calories Cost? The Economics of Obesity, where I found that you can find the cheapest calories in things like flour, pasta, oil, bread, and doughnuts. Meanwhile, the most expensive calories included all … [Read the rest]

Infographic: It’s Never Too Late To Start

There's a new movie out about Ray Kroc and McDonald's called The Founder. Did you know that Kroc was selling milkshake machines into his 50s until he stumbled on a pair of brothers buying a ton of milkshake machines for their new hamburger … [Read the rest]

Amazon Promo: $8.62 off $50+ Order (2/22 Only)

In case you don't visit every day (which is probably a good thing), Amazon.com is giving $8.62 off $50+ orders with promo code BIGTHANKS. Valid until 11:59pm Pacific 2/22 only. Must be shipped and sold by Amazon. If you need filler ideas, you … [Read the rest]

Municipal Bonds vs. US Treasury Bond Yield Comparison

As a follow-up to my post on the risks of investing in bonds, I should share that a slight majority of my personal bond holdings are in short-term and intermediate-term municipal bonds. Why? Well, here are some considerations if you are choosing … [Read the rest]

Shelter Institute: Learn How to Build Your Own House in 2 Weeks

While listening to a Tim Ferriss podcast with guest Mr. Money Mustache, I came across this quote from John Taylor Gatto in the comments. Apparently Gatto was not a fan of compulsory schooling and offered this instead: I want to give you a … [Read the rest]

Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card 75,000 Point Offer Review

Update - This offer is now EXPIRED The Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card, from our partner Citi, is offering a limited-time bonus increase. Here are the highlights: Earn 75,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points after making $2,000 in … [Read the rest]

Understanding the Risks and Downsides of Bonds

To get the full return of any asset class, you'll have to own it through the good times and the bad times. The good times are easy, but getting through the bad times requires deeper understanding and faith. You'll usually hear this about holding … [Read the rest]

U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card Review: 0% Intro APR for 18 Billing Cycles + $600 Cell Phone Protection

The U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card has been updated with a long 0% Intro APR offer and up to $600 of cell phone protection. Here are the highlights: 0% Intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 18 billing cycles. After that, a variable … [Read the rest]

Most Individual Stocks Don’t Outperform Cash?

A new academic paper was recently published with a confusing yet provocative title: Do Stocks Outperform Treasury Bills?. Of course they do... right? An excerpt from the abstract: Most common stocks do not outperform Treasury Bills. Fifty … [Read the rest]