My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Dollar Shave Club vs. Dorco USA Razor Price Comparison

Dollar Shave Club and Harry's are supposedly "disrupting" the shaving industry. Honestly, I don't get it. Buying a razor is like buying shampoo, soap, or toilet paper. In other words, I bought a bulk set at Costco for $1 per 3-blade razor and it … [Read the rest]

Fundrise Income eREIT Review 2017: One Year Update

Here's an update on my $2,000 investment into the Fundrise Income eREIT. Fundrise is taking advantage of recent legislation allowing certain crowdfunding investments to be offered to the general public (they were previously limited only to … [Read the rest]

High-Cost Index Funds and Low-Cost Actively Managed Funds

Here's a Vanguard Blog post called Mind fund details, not labels by Frank Kinniry that includes some good reminders about the mutual fund and ETF industry: Low-cost vs. high-cost is more important than actively managed vs. passively managed. … [Read the rest]

More Experience = Less Complexity?

When we had our first child, it seems like we were prepared for the apocalypse whenever we stepped out the door. Below is a visualization taken from Pinterest, while we actually had this $60 SkipHop diaper bag filled to the brim. Compare … [Read the rest]

USAA Limitless Cashback Rewards Visa Signature Card Review: 2.5% Cash Back

(Update: The card application page is no longer available. USAA is not longer offering this card to new applicants.) USAA, which serves members of the U.S. military and their immediate families, has a new cash back rewards card called the USAA … [Read the rest]

2017 IRS Federal Income Tax Brackets Breakdown Example (Married w/ 1 Child)

In a continued attempt to better explain the 2017 federal income tax brackets, here is a graphical breakdown of a simple scenario for a married filing joint couple with 1 dependent. See also my previous examples for a single filer with no … [Read the rest]

Vanguard ETF vs. Mutual Fund Admiral Shares

Allan Roth has a new ETF.com article called Why ETFs Won’t Replace Mutual Funds. Inside, he offers the following reasons why if you are buying Vanguard funds, he typically recommends the Admiral Shares mutual fund over the ETF. Vanguard Mutual … [Read the rest]

How to Buy or Sell an ETF: Real-World Best Practices

In this ETFdb interview with Rich Powers, Head of ETF Product Management at Vanguard, there was a useful bit about the practical mechanics of buying an ETF in your brokerage account. Found via Abnormal Returns. ETFdb: What would you say are … [Read the rest]

2017 IRS Federal Income Tax Brackets Breakdown Example (Married No Kids)

In a continued attempt to better understand the 2017 federal income tax brackets, here is a graphical breakdown of a simple scenario for a married filing joint couple with no dependents. Again, I'll try to explore the differences in terms such as … [Read the rest]

LivingSocial: BJ’s Wholesale Club Membership Discount

LivingSocial has a new deal: $50 for a 1-Year BJ's Membership + $20 BJ's Gift Card & $55 in Coupon Savings. Offer expires on 3/12. New members only (you could get your spouse or partner to sign-up). Valid at all BJ's Wholesale Club locations (East … [Read the rest]

2017 IRS Federal Income Tax Brackets Breakdown Example (Single)

Income taxes can be hard to visualize with just a table of numbers. Below, I try to explain the 2017 tax brackets and exemptions system with graphics and simple example of a single worker. What is the difference between gross income, taxable … [Read the rest]

Dimensional Fund Advisors Profile + 529 College Savings Plan Access

Institutional Investor has an interesting profile of Dimensional Fund Advisors (DFA). Since DFA doesn't do much marketing, there are very few articles about them in the mainstream financial media. A rare example is this 2007 article (backup copy) … [Read the rest]