My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Barclaycard CashForward World MasterCard Review: 1.5% Cash Back + $200 Bonus

Update - This offer is now EXPIRED. Barclaycard has improved this offer by increasing the sign-up bonus to $200 after you spend $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days. The $200 flat bonus makes this card work out better for those folks that … [Read the rest]

How is Lemonade Different Than Mutual Insurance?

After my initial post about Lemonade insurance, there was a discussion in the comments about how Lemonade's business model compares with existing mutual insurance companies. Lemonade reached out to me and wanted to clarify some things, and I … [Read the rest]

Don’t Trust Your Student Loan Servicer, Especially Navient

If you don't understand why having a fiduciary requirement matters in terms of financial advice, read this Bloomberg article about student-loan servicer Navient. Learn about the sad behavior of a company that services the student loans of over 12 … [Read the rest]

H&R Block Desktop Tax Software Discounts: Free $20 Nike Gift Card

Updated with new deal. If you are still looking for downloadable desktop tax software that doesn't require your Social Security Number and financial details to be stored in the cloud, here's a limited-time deal on H&R Block Tax Software 2016. … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash Savings – April 2017

Our family keeps a year's worth of expenses (not income) put aside in cash reserves. Even if you think that's too much, you still need something. There are many ways that the ROI on emergency funds can be higher than simply the interest rate on your … [Read the rest]

S&P 500 Histogram: Annual Returns Are Negative 1/3rd Of The Time

As we stand today in early 2017, the performance of the US stock market since 2009 has been pretty impressive with only a few minor hiccups. I am not calling a market drop, but the best time to prepare is before an emergency or crisis occurs. … [Read the rest]

The Full Spectrum of Financial Advisors

Do you recommend Wealthfront? Betterment? WiseBanyan? Schwab Intelligent Portfolios? Vanguard Personal Advisor Services? The upstarts like to bash on the competition, making it seem like they are your digital savior while everyone else is … [Read the rest]

Money Diaries: Anthony Bourdain, Spike Lee, Kylie Jenner, and Other Interesting People

It's been more than a decade since I started this site because I had no other outlet to talk about financial independence. Talking about your money in public remains a mostly taboo topic. The idea of financial freedom through an aggressive saving … [Read the rest]

RealtyShares Review 2017: Wisconsin Apartment Loan One-Year Update

Here's a one-year update on my $2,000 investment through RealtyShares, a partial interest in a loan backed by a 6-unit apartment complex in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. RealtyShares is restricted to accredited investors only. Here are the highlights: … [Read the rest]

Fidelity Brokerage and IRA Bonuses for New Asset Transfers

Fidelity Investments has a few different bonuses if you transfer a certain levels of new assets over to them. These are handy if you want to move money out of an old 401(k) plan or are looking to try out a new broker. Besides a cash deposit, you … [Read the rest]

Dollar Shave Club vs. Dorco USA Razor Price Comparison

Dollar Shave Club and Harry's are supposedly "disrupting" the shaving industry. Honestly, I don't get it. Buying a razor is like buying shampoo, soap, or toilet paper. In other words, I bought a bulk set at Costco for $1 per 3-blade razor and it … [Read the rest]

Fundrise Income eREIT Review 2017: One Year Update

Here's an update on my $2,000 investment into the Fundrise Income eREIT. Fundrise is taking advantage of recent legislation allowing certain crowdfunding investments to be offered to the general public (they were previously limited only to … [Read the rest]