My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Barron’s Best Stock Brokerage Rankings 2017

Barron's has released their 2017 annual broker rankings. Two major themes this year are (1) trade commissions dropping overall and (2) improved mobile app trading. To analyze 2017’s top brokers, we took a hard look at the value they offer to … [Read the rest]

Fundrise eREIT Quarterly Liquidity Details and Redemption Process

I've been putting some side money into crowdfunded real-estate investments - see here and here - and I have decided to test out the quarterly liquidity window of my Fundrise eREIT investment (review). An important difference between most of these … [Read the rest]

Buy, Hold, Rebalance a Globally-Diversified Portfolio 2017

When I think about it, I am impressed with how different 2017 feels compared to when I started seriously learning about investing in 2003. Instead of only reading about it in few books mostly read by finance nerds, nowadays nearly every … [Read the rest]

Callan Investment Returns Ranked by Asset Class 1997-2017

We've all been told that past performance is no guarantee of future returns, but it's still hard to buy an investment that has been performing poorly. We need to remember the historical power of diversification and that even though something may … [Read the rest]

Apple iWork Suite, iMovie, and GarageBand Now Free on Mac and iOS

If you have an older Mac OS or iOS device, it may be nice to know that Apple has made their iWork productivity suite, iMovie, and GarageBand apps free to download for all users. These apps come free with new hardware, but users with old hardware had … [Read the rest]

Early Retirement Portfolio Income, 2017 Q1 Update

While I understand the arguments for a "total return" approach, I also appreciate the behavioral reasons why living off income while keeping your ownership stake is desirable. The analogy I fall back on is owning an investment property that … [Read the rest]

Early Retirement Portfolio Asset Allocation, 2017 First Quarter Update

Here is an update on my investment portfolio holdings after the first quarter 2017. This includes tax-deferred accounts like 401ks, IRAs, and taxable brokerage holdings, but excludes things like our primary home, cash reserves, and a few other side … [Read the rest]

Simple Portfolio Rebalancing Spreadsheet Template (Google Drive)

Updated. Automated portfolio management services like Wealthfront and Betterment will help you manage a diversified portfolio of low-cost index funds for a fee. While I understand their appeal for those that wish to outsource that task, I choose … [Read the rest]

Savings I Bonds May 2017 Update: 1.96% Inflation Rate

Savings I Bonds are a low-risk investment backed by the US Treasury that pay out a variable interest rate linked to inflation. You could own them as a replacement for cash reserves (they are liquid after 12 months) or bonds in your portfolio. New … [Read the rest]

Amazon Coupons: $10 off $50 Warehouse, $15 off $40 for Amazon Student

Here are a couple of quick Amazon promotions before I sign off for the weekend: Amazon Warehouse Deals $10 off $50. Get $10 off a $50+ purchase at Amazon Warehouse with coupon code EARTH10. This is where Amazon sells their open-box and pre-owned … [Read the rest]

Trim Savings: Connect Your Visa Card For $40 Cashback Towards Everyday Purchases

Financial chatbot Trim has a new feature called Trim Savings. (Here's a previous review of Trim's subscription cancellation service.) You link your existing Visa card and they will come up with cashback coupons. The offers are linked to your … [Read the rest]

Digit Review: “You Won’t Even Notice” Automated Savings Account

Update April 2017. Digit is now a paid service. After a 100-day free trial, Digit will charge a $2.99 monthly subscription. If you are a current user, you also get another 100 days free but after that they will start taking $2.99 out of your … [Read the rest]