My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Coffin Homes: Living in Tiny Spaces As a Last Resort

The Atlantic has a photojournalism article The 'Coffin Homes' of Hong Kong which startled me and challenged my idea of a "tiny" living spaces. The size reminded me of capsule hotels in Japan, except these are in much worse condition and are … [Read the rest]

Ally Bank vs. Goldman Sachs Bank CD Interest Rate Comparison

After last week's WSJ article about interest rates, I noticed that both Goldman Sachs Bank USA (GS Bank) and Ally Bank have both been hiking rates on their CDs. Competition is good and I like that they both still show the desire to stay at the top as … [Read the rest]

How Much Do Other Parents Help Pay For College Tuition?

As the school year ends, I am reminded that my children are another year closer to college. I still remember paying off my own $30,000 in student loan debt, and now I am worried about saving up for their tuition. While I still maintain that … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash Savings – May 2017

The WSJ article Bank of America Pays Peanuts for Deposits, but the Money Keeps Flowing In (paywall) outlines how BofA gets away with paying less interest on its deposits than nearly any other US bank (not that the other mega-banks are that much … [Read the rest]

Best Places to Find a Decent Used Car For Under $1,000

I suppose my pre-Uber generation might be the last one to equate having your own car with fun and freedom. In high school, I would comb through the "Under $2,000" section of the newspaper classified ads every day. How it looked didn't matter as … [Read the rest]

If someone promises to pay you back, they probably won’t pay you back.

Back in the stone age of P2P lending (aka 2006), I used to read through Prosper loan listings one-by-one. Borrowers would outline their monthly budgets showing how they could afford their loan payments, along with explanations of why they needed the … [Read the rest]

Buffett and Munger: S&P 500 vs. Berkshire Hathaway

Instead of watching the entire 6-hour Berkshire Hathaway (BRK) annual shareholder's meeting, I first read through the WSJ highlights and then watched selected parts of the Yahoo Finance replay which interested me. One interesting topic was about … [Read the rest]

Free eBook on Reducing Smartphone Data Usage

Ting Mobile has a free Cut Your Data eBook (PDF) about lowering your cellular data usage. The eBook is a nice collection of data cutting tips that ideally don't reduce your actual enjoyment. Examples include: How to turn off background … [Read the rest]

My Portfolio Asset Allocation Thought Process

A reader asked me to expand on the thought process behind my asset allocation choices. I don't have a highly scientific answer, but here's how I would explain it to a friend over drinks. Prepare yourself for some rambling... I know that I … [Read the rest]

The Growing Popularity of Index Funds and Higher Stock Valuations

I recently read (and re-read) a post at Philosophical Economics titled Diversification, Adaptation, and Stock Market Valuation, which serves both as an educational resource and an interesting argument for a new shift in stock investing. It's rather … [Read the rest]

Back Again! Free Website Reveals Your Address History and Names of Relatives (Opt Out)

Update April 2017. It appears that the same people behind the website mentioned below have created another nearly-identical website. Even if you opted-out last time, all of your sensitive personal information is up again on this website. You … [Read the rest]

Tough Job: 5% of Active Investment Managers Will Add Value

People always argue about how "efficient" the market truly is. Only academic, ivory-tower geeks believe in efficient markets right? My longstanding opinion is that no, markets are not 100% efficient, but it's a tough, cutthroat world out there. … [Read the rest]