My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Extremes in Minimalism, Frugality, and Early Retirement

I enjoyed reading this NYT article When the Gospel of Minimalism Collides With Daily Life. The "Minimalist Mom" was profiled who vowed to not buy their kids anything for an entire year (2013). How does she live now? These days, she warned, … [Read the rest]

Jack Bogle Full Interviews with CNN and Business Insider

If you haven't gotten a dose of Jack Bogle wisdom recently, check out this full Business Insider interview transcript and this 16-minute CNN video interview. There is a lot of ground covered between them. Here are my selected notes: S&P 500 … [Read the rest]

Hyatt Credit Card – Two Free Nights Offer Changing to 40,000 Points on 6/29

The Hyatt Credit Card is changing their sign-up bonus on 6/29/17. For now, you can get two free night awards after spending $2,000 in the first 3 months from account opening. The free nights are valid for a standard room at any Hyatt hotel … [Read the rest]

Standard eBooks: High-Quality, Free, Public Domain eBooks

The Standard eBooks Project is a new volunteer-driven, not-for-profit project that produces carefully-formatted, open-source, and free public domain ebooks. They improve upon the work of sites like Project Gutenberg and HathiTrust in the following … [Read the rest]

Starbucks for Outlook: Send $5 Gift Card, Get $5 Gift Card Free

Mmm... caffeine. Here's a new promotion with Starbucks and Microsoft Outlook that is basically a Give 1 Get 1 Free $5 Starbucks eGfit Card. Here is the promo page and the terms and conditions page. For a limited time, when you send a $5 … [Read the rest]

Research Affiliates Custom Portfolio Expected Returns Tool

Investment advisory firm Research Affiliates has updated their interactive Asset Allocation tool, which now provides estimates of expected returns for more than 130 asset classes and model portfolios. There are two expected return models, … [Read the rest]

PortfolioCharts.com Safe Withdrawal Rate Tool (Updated)

I just noticed that PortfolioCharts.com has updated their Withdrawal Rate Calculator. It has improved visualizations and as a personal finance geek I even found it fun. You can enter your specific asset allocation slices down to 1% and see … [Read the rest]

A Semi-Retirement Update, Father’s Day 2017

I've been told that my blog isn't personal enough. Father's Day seemed like an appropriate time to share how our efforts towards financial freedom have altered our day-to-day lives. Guiding principle. When I first started chasing the idea of … [Read the rest]

Virgin Atlantic Free Status Match to Silver and Gold

Virgin Atlantic has a new official status match program that will match the elite status of another airline's frequent flyer program for a full 12 months. (Oftentimes these status matches are unofficial and only last a few months.) To request a … [Read the rest]

Headwinds/Tailwinds Asymmetry, Gratitude, and Relationship Advice

Freakonomics Radio has a podcast called Why Is My Life So Hard? where they talked with Tom Gilovich of Cornell and Shai Davidai of the New School for Social Research about the concept of headwinds/tailwinds asymmetry: Most of us feel we face more … [Read the rest]

Existing Discover Cardholders: Free $10 Kohl’s Cash

If you have a Discover credit card and shop at Kohl's, follow the quick instructions below and check if you have $10 in Kohl's Cash credit available in your account. There is no purchase required. Availability varies and you might see again next … [Read the rest]

New Low-Cost Broad Commodity ETFs from GraniteShares

Commodities are an asset class that some investors include in their portfolio for diversification purposes. Depending on the specific index, you might track the futures market for aluminum, coffee, copper, corn, cotton, crude oil, gold, diesel, … [Read the rest]