My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Who Maxes Out Their 401k, And Where Do They Make Sacrifices?

The Principal Financial Group surveyed "younger" retirement plan participants ages 23-51 who contributed at least 90% of the annual 401(k) maximum limit. That means they put away at least $16,200 each (limit was $18,000 for 2016/2017). These … [Read the rest]

JetBlue Free Mosaic Status Match + Challenge

JetBlue Airlines has a free status match program where they will upgrade you to JetBlue Mosaic status if you have elite status with another airline loyalty program. Here are the qualifying levels at other airlines: Virgin America: Elevate … [Read the rest]

Chart: Hours of Work Required To Buy S&P 500

As the US stock market keeps going up, it feels like everyone is whispering the same thing: We are near a top. It's easiest to do this with numbers. Here's a valuation metric that divides the price of the S&P 500 stock index by the median US … [Read the rest]

Choice Hotels Free Elite Status Match

Choice Hotels is also offering a public free status match to Gold or Platinum Elite status from another hotel program. Potential perks include point bonuses on qualifying stays, longer booking windows for reward nights, and a free welcome gift. … [Read the rest]

Pretirement App: Interactive Countdown Clock to Financial Freedom

What would you do if you knew that skipping that morning $4 coffee/muffin combo every day would get you 8 months closer to financial freedom? What if I told you that buying that $40k car instead of the $25k one would only extend your working years … [Read the rest]

How Badly Underfunded is Your State’s Retirement Pension Fund? (Infographic)

The state of Illinois narrowly avoided having their S&P credit rating dropped to "Junk" status, but their current rating is already the lowest ever for any state. Their pension promises now total over $200 billion, but they are a bit short... $120 … [Read the rest]

Amazon Prime Day 2017: List of Deals Still Available

Updated. Amazon Prime Day is now over, but some offers are still available. I've removed the ones that I notice are expired. Hopefully you picked up some credits and savings to offset that membership fee. Many deals still require Prime. New … [Read the rest]

The Incredible Shrinking Cell Phone Bill

If you wanted to shave $1,000 a year off your housing expenses, you'd have to move or at least refinance a mortgage. That takes a pile of paperwork and lots of time. Meanwhile, with a few clicks on a website and a SIM swap, many people on a major … [Read the rest]

Chart: Amazon Prime vs. Cable TV Subscribers

If you're wondering why Amazon is pushing Prime membership so hard, check out this chart from Recode: Within the next year or two, there will be more Amazon Prime members than cable TV subscribers. There is already roughly the same number of … [Read the rest]

Best HSA Plan Provider For Long-Term “Healthcare IRA” Investing – Morningstar

Nearly 30% of covered workers are now enrolled in a high-deductible health plan (HDHP). This means a lot more people are also eligible to contribute to a Health Savings Account (HSA). HSAs have the unique feature of triple-tax-free savings when … [Read the rest]

Portfolio Visualizer: Asset Allocation Backtesting and Monte Carlo Simulation Tool

Here's another neat (and free!) portfolio analysis tool - PortfolioVisualizer.com. You can upload a custom asset allocation and get all sorts of backtest data and Monte Carlo simulation results from it. If you register for an account, it will … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash Savings – July 2017

Interest rates are slowly waking up from their multi-year slumber, so I am paying a bit more attention to the various changes each month. Don't let a megabank pay you 0.01% APY or less for your idle cash. Here is my monthly roundup of the best … [Read the rest]