My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Free Collection of Investing Books by Meb Faber

Free again. Asset manager Meb Faber is promoting the launch of his new book, The Best Investment Writing: Selected writing from leading investors and authors (Vol. 1), by making all four previous self-published books free in Kindle format for a … [Read the rest]

Most Underfunded Private Pension Plans in the S&P 500 (Infographic)

In addition to data on underfunded state pension funds, Bloomberg also has an infographic on private pensions: S&P 500’s Biggest Pension Plans Face $382 Billion Funding Gap. There are at least 20 large corporations that have put aside less than 70% … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash Savings – August 2017

Interest rates are slowly waking up from their multi-year slumber, so I'm paying closer attention to the various changes each month. Don't let a megabank pay you 0.01% APY or less for your idle cash. Here is my monthly roundup of the best safe … [Read the rest]

Fidelity Index Mutual Fund and ETF Expense Ratios (Updated August 2017)

Updated. Fidelity announced another round of expense ratio cuts effective August 1, 2017. They last announced a big round of expense ratio drops in July 2016. This move allows them to make the following claim: Fidelity beats Vanguard on … [Read the rest]

Costco New Membership Discount – LivingSocial

LivingSocial has a Costco Gold Star Membership Package where for $60 you can get $215.63 value: 1-year Gold Star membership ($60 normally), which includes a membership card for the primary cardholder as well as one free Household Card $20 … [Read the rest]

Why Don’t More People Use Programmable Thermostats?

The hottest time of the year has arrived. The U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) shared some results from their 2015 Residential Energy Consumption Survey in regards to air conditioning. A programmable thermostat can save you a … [Read the rest]

Landline Phone Replacement: OBi200 Adapter $40 Deal + Installation Tips

Updated. If you still like the idea of landline phone service and multiple handsets around the house, Obihai VoIP boxes are officially supported by Google Voice to provide unlimited free calls to the USA to Canada. That's totally free: $0 a month … [Read the rest]

Money Buys Happiness… If You Outsource Your Unwanted Chores

First, you were told that the best way to buy happiness was to buy experiences, not things. Other research then said happiness can come from buying the right things. Here's another academic study making the rounds (WaPo, NYT): Buying time … [Read the rest]

Low-Cost Funds Capture Nearly All of the Market’s Gains (and Losses)

Here's a quick snapshot that illustrates why Vanguard and other low-cost funds are taking assets from active managers. Via this Bloomberg article. The US stock market has been on a great run for nearly 9 years now, and low-cost funds have been … [Read the rest]

What if the North Pond Hermit Has Pursued Early Retirement Instead?

Of my summer reads was The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit by Michael Finkel. Many people dream about leading a "quiet life" away from all the hustle and bustle. The "North Pond Hermit", real name … [Read the rest]

The Intangible Benefits of Saving Money: Flexibility and Robustness

Need a break from the charts? Morgan Housel has an insightful article Let Me Convince You To Save Money that includes no historical data, no survey results, no fancy infographics. Read the whole thing, but here's my favorite excerpt: But the … [Read the rest]

Dorco Coupon: 1-Year Supply (28 Razors) for $24 + Free Shipping

My strategy for saving money on shaving is simple. I buy a bunch of razors once every 2 years, and use one razor per month. I try not to pay more than $1 per razor, so my total shaving bill is under $12 a year. To make sure they stay … [Read the rest]