My Money Blog has partnered with CardRatings and may receive a commission from card issuers. Some or all of the card offers that appear on this site are from advertisers and may impact how and where card products appear on the site. MyMoneyBlog.com does not include all card companies or all available card offers. All opinions expressed are the author’s alone.

Health Insurance Premiums: Average Annual Cost $19,000 Family, $6,000 Individual

The Wall Street Journal recently published (paywall?) a chart showing how the average cost of employer-provided health coverage for a family has changed from 1999-2017. The total average annual cost was $18,764 for a family and $6,690 for an … [Read the rest]

Robinhood: Free Share of Stock for New Users – Estimated Value

Robinhood is a sleek smartphone app that's a brokerage account with unlimited $0 trades with no minimum balance requirement. They've been around for a few years now and I've been impressed that they've kept up the free trade business model, … [Read the rest]

University of Berkshire Hathaway: Notes From Annual Shareholders Meeting (Book Review)

If you are a Buffett & Munger follower, you should be intrigued by University of Berkshire Hathaway: 30 Years of Lessons Learned from Warren Buffett & Charlie Munger at the Annual Shareholders Meeting by Daniel Pecaut and Corey Wrenn. Anyone can … [Read the rest]

Free 100 Air Canada Aeroplan Bonus Miles

New offer. Even small amounts of bonus miles can be handy as Air Canada requires activity every 12 months to prevent Aeroplan miles expiration. Give some feedback on a short video at get 100 bonus Aeroplan miles. 100 bonus miles will be … [Read the rest]

Amazon Prints Promotional Code: 50 Free 4×6 Photo Prints + Free Shipping

New code for 50 free prints. Amazon Prints is offering another round of 50 free 4x6 photo prints, with free shipping for Prime members. Use promotional code FREE50PRINTS by September 17, 2017 11:59pm PT. This current code should work again even … [Read the rest]

Surprise! A Few Reasons for Hope and Optimism

The amount of negative information that surrounds us can sometimes feel overwhelming. To be sure, there is plenty to be concerned about. However, here are some reasons to be hopeful. You probably won't find them on the front page of any major … [Read the rest]

No Consensus on International Stocks: Make Any Decision, Just Stick With It

Here are some updated thoughts on holding stocks based outside the US in your portfolio. There is no "ideal" amount of international stocks that experts agree upon. You have numbers ranging from 0% (US only) to 50% (market-cap weighting). For … [Read the rest]

Equifax Hack Check Tool, Free Year of Identity Theft Protection and Credit Monitoring

Equifax announced that they were hacked between May-July 2017, exposing the personal information of potentially over 143 million people. As one of the three major credit bureaus, they have a lot of data: credit card numbers, social security … [Read the rest]

Plastiq Promotion: Pay Mortgage With Mastercard for 1.5% Fee

Plastiq has a new 1.5% promo rate (standard fee is 2.5%) if you schedule 3 or more mortgage payments with your Mastercard by end of this 2017. You must pay the standard 2.5% first, and then discount will come in the form of a rebate check sent by … [Read the rest]

Absolute vs. Relative Standard of Living: What is Enough?

I'm currently reading University of Berkshire Hathaway: 30 Years of Lessons Learned from Warren Buffett & Charlie Munger at the Annual Shareholders Meeting by Daniel Pecaut and Corey Wrenn. As opposed to a rehash of the BRK shareholder letters, it … [Read the rest]

Best Interest Rates on Cash Savings – September 2017

Interest rates are slowly waking up from their multi-year slumber, so I'm paying closer attention to the various changes each month. Don't let a megabank pay you 0.01% APY or less for your idle cash. Here is my monthly roundup of the best safe … [Read the rest]

Discover Card: Free Social Security Number Monitoring and New Account Alerts

Discover has a new free alert service available to Discover cardholders on an opt-in basis. I must have missed the initial announcement. This is not complete identity protection (which usually costs a monthly fee of $10 or more) but the … [Read the rest]