GroupMe is a group-texting smartphone app with a new feature called Split which allows you to collect payments from groups via credit card (collecting rent from roommates, splitting a bar tab, chipping in for a friend’s birthday gift, etc.). The regular fee for this service will be 4% + $0.99, which covers credit card processing fees plus some profit for GroupMe. The cost for this convenience seems rather steep for regular use, other than maybe splitting a rare dinner bill when I don’t have cash.
However, until Tuesday, March 12th at 11:59PM CST, all fees are waived. Naturally, airline miles collectors love this and a few quickly decided to split a Ford Mustang between friends at $10,000 a pop. 😉 So the free offer was restricted to apply to the first split transaction up to $499 per person. I like trying things like this out, and it was still worth the 10 minutes to get 998 miles and also be able to satsify basically $1,000 of spending requirements on a few $500+ bonus credit cards (these, actually). Here’s how I did it with two smartphones (me and wife).
- Both Phone #1 and Phone #2 install the GroupMe app, linked to their respective phone numbers (must verify phone number via text message).
- #1 invites #2 into a group and starts a “Split”, let’s call it Paris Vacation Tickets, set to $499 per person.
- #2 joins group, and pays $499 with credit card (verify no fees).
- #1 started the split and so can’t pay themselves (bummer). You could involve a Phone #3 here, but instead you use your computer to visit the custom split link sent to you via e-mail (http://split.groupme.com/XXXXXX) and choose “Pay without can account.” #1 then pays $499 with their credit card (even if linked to same account). If more people wish to pay, you can also do with the custom link.
- Now that two people have paid (minimum required is two), #1 “collects” by entering their bank account information. $499 will be then charged to the two credit cards (again verify no fees with this promo), and confirmation is given that the $998 will be deposited into the bank account in 3-5 business days.