As CPAs everywhere are burning the midnight oil, the National Society of Accountants (NSA) released the results of their 2009-2010 Fee Survey of nearly 8,000 tax preparers, which showed the average tax preparation fee for an itemized Form 1040 with Schedule A and a state tax return to be $229. The average cost to prepare a Form 1040 and state return without itemized deductions is only $129.
Here’s a link to the full press release. The costs varied by geographic region, with the highest being the Pacific (AK, CA, HI, OR, WA).
They also listed the average fees for preparing other tax forms:
• $212 for a Form 1040 Schedule C (profit or loss from business)
• $551 for Form 1065 (partnership)
• $692 for Form 1120 (corporation)
• $665 for Form 1120S (S corporation)
• $415 for Form 1041 (fiduciary)
• $2,044 for Form 706 (estates)
• $584 for Form 990 (tax exempt)
• $58 for Form 940 (Federal unemployment)
If you used an accountant, how do you compare?