I am in the process of migrating this blog from Movable Type to WordPress. If you see any errors or missing pages, please leave a comment. Thanks! The rest of this entry is not money related.
I wanted to document this conversion as I haven’t seen any that have done it just like me. I had an older Movable Type 3.121 blog which was not dynamically generated. It created static html files, which mean every time I wanted to update something site-wide, I have to rebuild every. single. file. I’m almost at 1,000 posts now, so it was takng forever. Lots of other reasons to convert to WordPress 2.0 as well, to be added later. This post is a draft that I am just updating as I go because I already published it.
1) Installed WordPress in alternate directory.
2) Converted MT Theme to WordPress. CSS. PHP. Long and painful. Internet Explorer needs to follow CSS standards better.
3) Imported entries using WP script. Actually very easy.
4) Manually changed all post names to correspond to the old ugly ones. Loooooooooong.
5) Tested the clone site extensively.
6) Changed the permalinks to root directory, overriding old links but allowing old directory structure to remain intact.
7) Tada! Looks ok, now for the bugs to pop up.
I had hoped this would take one weekend, instead it took 8 days. Ah well.