Update – This promotion is now EXPIRED.
Citi has a new promo for its premium Hilton Hotels card, the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Reserve Card. The sign-up bonus now includes a $100 statement credit in addition to 2 Free Weekend Nights (details below). The two free weekend night certificates are good on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights and offer a potential value of $500+ by themselves. Card feature summary:
- Earn a $100 statement credit after spending $100 or more on your first hotel stay in the Hilton HHonors Portfolio within the first 3 months of account opening
- Earn 2 weekend night certificates good at select hotels and resorts within the Hilton HHonors portfolio after $2,500 in purchases within 4 months of account opening*
- Earn 10 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on hotel stays within the Hilton HHonors portfolio*
- Earn 5 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on airline and car rental purchases*
- Earn 3 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases*
- Free HHonors Gold status as long as you are a cardmember*
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases*
- Travel with ease and enjoy global acceptance with your Citi chip credit card
- $95 annual fee.
The two free weekend night certificates have no category restrictions, but do have the following exclusions. Certificates are valid for 12 months after issuance. Must be used on “standard” rooms (no upgraded suites, etc). Room taxes are included with the certificates. Booking the same rooms using rewards points would cost 50,000-70,000 HHonors points per night. Possible choices include:
- Grand Wailea Maui (Waldorf Astoria)
- Waldorf Astoria Rome Cavalieri
- Conrad Maldives
- Conrad New York
- Conrad Tokyo
- Hilton Bora Bora Nui
In the end, this is a great way for casual travelers to stay two nights at a really fancy hotel where you can’t imagine paying over $300 a night. (I just checked the Grand Wailea in Maui, and the standard room for one night was $439 + taxes = $501.27) Use the $100 credit to save on an additional night or separate stay. Alternatively, this card is good for regular travelers where Hilton is your hotel chain of choice. Free Gold status offers perks like late checkout, free Wi-Fi, and a free breakfast at many hotels. For future years, if you spend $10,000 in a year you get another free weekend night certificate, which you can weigh against the $95 annual fee.
I just applied for this card. I would normally like to use the certificates for something international and exotic, but with two toddlers I’m pretty sure we’re going to use it for the Grand Wailea in Maui. My application is pending; you can check via their application status number 888-201-4523.