Updated 7/1/15. American Express cardholders can participate in “AmEx Offers” which offer discounts to various merchants. These promotions often offer the opportunity for easy savings without changing your spending habits. Sometimes I just buy a gift card if I go the store regularly.
Right now, there are some good targeted offers which you may or may not find in your account, but it is worth checking:
- Target and Walmart. Spend $100+, Get $30 Back. Up to 5x. In-store only. Ends 7/31/15. I was surprised to see this in my account; I usually don’t get the good offers anymore. $30 back on $100 times 5 is up to $150 total savings back, and I can buy Target gift cards to get to $100. Good deal if you shop here anyway! Here’s selected fine print:
Valid in-store only. Valid at any participating location in the US. Target exclusions: Vision Optometry & Clinics. Walmart exclusions: Site to Store (in-store pick up service); Vision Optometry; Coinstar; Clinic; Tax Services; Cafes & Coffee Shops; Beauty/Salon/Hair Cuts; On site restaurants/Dining; On site Gas; 3rd party telecom provider services. Enrollment limited. Offer is non-transferable. Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible for this offer. Limit 5 statement credits per American Express online account. Must add offer to Card and use same Card to redeem. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 7/31/2015, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase.
- BJ’s Warehouse. Spend $100, Get $30 Back or Spend $50, get $25 Back. Up to 3x. In-club only. Ends 8/15/15. Can apply to membership fee. “Get a $30 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to make a single qualifying purchase of $100+ in-Club by 8/15/2015. You can get up to 3 statement credits, so enjoy multiple trips to BJ’s!”
- iTunes, App Store, or iBooks. Spend $5+, Get $5 Back. AmEx wants to be your linked card of choice on these platforms.
- Google Play. Spend $5+, Get $5 Back.
- Uber. Spend $15+, Get $5 Back.
- GoDaddy.com. Spend $50+, Get $20 Back.
Each separate card, including authorized users, may have different offers available to them. Although as commenter Oleg notes “If you have multiple cards and you activated for an offer on one of them, this offer may disappear from others. You can open several tabs, retrieve each card separately and apply for an offer.”
Here are the various ways to access these offers:
- Log into your AmEx account online and scroll down until you see the “Amex Offers For You” tab.
- Use the AmEx smartphone app.
- Access via social media at AmExOffers.com – Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, and TripAdvisor.
- Not everyone can access every offer, but the ones on Twitter tend to be available to everyone. You can track these easily on their Favorites page.