The Citi ThankYou® Premier Card has re-launched with a new sign-up bonus and purchase rewards structure. Get 50,000 bonus ThankYou Points as follows:
- Earn 20,000 bonus points after you make $2,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of account opening.
- Earn an additional 30,000 ThankYou points after you make another $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of your second year of being a cardmember.
- First year annual fee waived, $125 after that.
50,000 ThankYou points is enough to redeem for $500 in gift cards or $625 in airfare when you redeem through their ThankYou Travel Center (25% travel bonus only works if you have the Premier card). Details below. You can also redeem 50,000 TY points for a $500 check towards your student loans and/or mortgage.
The new rewards structure lets you earn:
- 3 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases for dining at restaurants and entertainment.
- 2 ThankYou Points for every $1 spent on purchases for airfare and hotels.
- 1 ThankYou Point per $1 spent on other purchases.
$625 in Airfare (ThankYou Travel Center)
With the new Citi Premier card, you get a 20% discount on the standard travel redemption that a “regular” Citi card offers. The reverse math means 1 TY point = 1.25 cents towards travel. For example, with my non-Premier card, I found that a flight that cost $360 including taxes and fees on Expedia would cost 36,000 TY points from Citi Travel. But with the Citi Premier, it would only cost 28,800 TY points.
ThankYou Travel Center screenshot:
So 50,000 TY points will get you $625 in airfare. The Citi Travel pricing seems fair, with no inflated prices as compared to Expedia, Orbitz, etc. Since you can book any flight that can be found on Expedia, there are “no blackout dates”.