American Express has a new promotion that offers you “2X Rewards” on your consumer or small business AmEx when you shop at a small business. Runs through the end of the year, 12/31/2016. You must register here. List of what counts as small businesses on their map here.
This works with most of the various flavors of American Express. Specifically, when you use your enrolled Card at small businesses you can earn*:
- Membership Rewards cards will earn 1 additional Membership Rewards point per dollar spent.
- Delta Skymiles cards will earn 1 additional mile per dollar spent.
- Blue Cash cards will earn an additional 1% back per dollar spent.
- Blue Sky cards will earn 1 additional Blue Sky point per dollar spent.
- Hilton Honors cards will earn 3 additional Hilton HHonors points per dollar spent.
- Starwood Preferred Guest cards will earn 1 additional Starpoint per dollar spent.
- Plenti cards will earn 1 additional Plenti point per dollar spent.
- Schwab Investor cards will earn an additional 1.5% cash back per dollar spent.
* Rewards cap applies; 2X Rewards valid on up to $100,000 in purchases per enrolled consumer card and $250,000 in purchases per enrolled business card. Prepaid and Corporate Cards, American Express Cards issued by other financial institutions, The Plum Card®, Clear from American Express®, Blue Cash InStore, Blue Cash Rebate Card, Blue for Students®, American Express® Platinum Cash Rebate Card, Optima, and One from American Express are not eligible.
Definitely worth spending the initial effort to sign up for, although the size of the benefit will vary depending on your spending patterns.