Not saving for retirement? Need a good excuse why? Not to worry – here are some 25 ideas for you, all for free!
1. I’m young, I need to enjoy life.
2. I’m too old, it’s too late for me.
3. I’m scared of money. It’s too complicated.
4. It’s all the credit card company’s fault.
5. Interest rates are still pretty low. Borrow now!
6. I don’t have enough time in the day.
7. I have to pay for my kid’s college.
8. I can’t afford it, I’m broke.
9. I make tons of money, I can stop spending whenever I want.
10. The stock market is a scam.
11. I’m going to win the lottery instead.
12. I’ll just work forever.
13. I need to pay off my leased BMW/Benz/Jag first.
14. Corporate America is evil and they brainwashed me.
15. It’s my wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/dog’s fault.
16. Those bill collectors will never catch me.
17. My mom/dad/uncle/aunt will leave me money when they croak.
18. I’m moving to Mexico. It’s cheaper there.
19. I’ll just file for bankruptcy when I hit rock bottom.
20. The dog ate my Roth IRA application.
21. I’ll probably die before I retire anyways.
22. My company doesn’t match their 401(k) enough. It’s their fault.
23. Spending money on shoes and gadgets makes me happy.
24. Did I mention that I’m still young?
25. Taxes are too high. It’s all the government’s fault.
Thanks to all my former co-workers that have supplied many of these. Please feel free to provide your own. I hope to build this into the #1 Excuse Resource on the net for this growth industry.
By Jonathan Ping | Retirement | 1/31/06, 12:48am